Sealing a pin hole in radiator

gramlab

Have a pin hole(I hope) in a radiator in the kitchen - and possibly more to come as I only recently put in a treatment system when I found out the well water was acidic and corroding everything.

What would be the best thing to seal this hole with and/or is there anything I could put into the system to coat/strengthen the internal surfaces of the rads?

FWIW when we had this problem the plumber advised that pinholes were the thin end of the wedge - rad needs replacing. They're not that dear and you'd be able to get the max out of them with good corrosion inhibitor.

I know I will probably have to replace all in the end but I'm missing a lot over the next few weeks, so I may not get it done for a while and I was looking for a temporary solution for the moment.

Suppose i will just keep it off or maybe stick a bit of chewing gum on it for now;)

"Thin edge of the wedge" just about sums it up but for an emergency repair you could try two things: buy a small tube of the epoxy repair putty specailly marketed for this purpose (sealing plumbing leaks) or screw a self tapping screw with the thread wrapped in a few turns of PTFE tape into the hole.

When you replace your rads you may need to investigate why the system failed in terms of corrosion- were there leaks causing air to enter the system or was the original system poorly designed- was pitching occuring?

I had a leak from a small hole in a rad a few years ago and my brother gave me 2 types of malleable metal that I just rubbed together and applied to the hole; it set solid and I haven't had a problem since. Sorry but I don't know what the metals were.

Metal set is the name of a similar sealant,it's a two part epoxy and works very well provided the instructions are followed.Available in all good hardware/builders suppliers stores.

If uou have a "closed" system use the following (). They also make a product that can be added to the make up tank of an open system. Most large plumbing suppliers stock this or a similar product .I have used it successfully myself . It is also available in B&Q

Back