SD/SDHC Memory card prices

STEINER

For a digital camera, I scoured retail and online for the best priced 16GB and 8GB SD/SDHC memory cards. The price differences were staggering. In Boots I think it was €28 for an 8GB, but I got one, an 8GB one from pixmania.com delivered for €14 total. Where do people get decent memory cards at reasonable prices?

I tend to try ebay and failing that I do a general google search.

I wouldn't touch pixmania ... too many horror stories .. so not worth the hassle.

I needed an 8GB microSD card before Saturday and ended up spending 17.90 fo 2 4GB cards (Transcend) in Power City.

Lesson - buy online

I've bought memory sticks and cards online from [broken link removed] before and have been happy with what I got for what I spent.

Have you tried Argos? When buying these cards, make sure you get a good read /write speed. Depending on your camera type, as you take photos, you want them written to card as quickly as possible.

I would expect places like Boots to be more expensive for these type of things. Other places to try would be Currys / PC World / Sound Store / H Normans, think Tesco's do these also. Also specials within Lidl / Aldi do them from time to time (usually snapped up quickly). but main thing - quicker write speed the better....

yeah I tried Argos, Currys, PC world, tesco. cheapest was pixmania and I bought from them. i wont need any more for a long while, but I probably will try ebay next time.

I've found www.mymemory.co.uk to be good and, if you want to "Buy Irish", www.memoryc.com (who also offer free shipping). 8GB from €12.40; 16GB from €21.11. The UK site does some great specials, though — see [broken link removed] and [broken link removed].

You can find cheaper on eBay, but there are lots of fake cards out there from China, especially the higher capacity ones.

I got my 8gb from pixmania, and it actually was delivered from memoryc in celbridge. funny that, as I live near celbridge! Just checked it out on memorycs website, €12.40 inc free delivery as opposed to €14 inc delivery charge from pixmania.

....Depending on your camera type, as you take photos, you want them written to card as quickly as possible.....
Is this really needed for regular photography, or does it only apply say in the case of sports photography where you might be firing off 20 pics in rapid succession?

Bought a 32GB card in Camera centre a few months ago which was pretty close to the prices you could get on line.

I got an 8GB SDHC card (class 6) from an Irish seller on ebay for €13 a few months ago. Fairly good price. Expect to pay a lot more in the shops.