Scuba diving in Sharm el Sheik

ragazza

Hi,

I'm going diving to Sharm el Sheik in september.

Can anyone let me know what Sharm is like - I've heard some bad stories that it is a hideous built-up place, completely lacking in charm.

I'm going mainly to dive, so it's not too important what the town is like, but it would be nice to think that we could enjoy the holiday above water too!

Ragazza.

I was there in 2001, and yes it is souless and built up but no different from other typical beachside resorts. If I remember correctly though the one annoying thing was that if you are not staying at one of the hotels on the beachfront you cant access the beach as they all own the access outside their property. Literally the hotels back right onto the beach....

The diving is fantastic and make sure you dive the Thistlegorm - it is without doubt the most amazing dive I have ever done. Its a WWII cargo ship that was sunk in the Gulf of Aquaba (i think) and it had its full cargo intact, you see all the uniforms, guns, carraiges of trains, tanks, cannon etc... amazing. The other place I dived from sharm was Ros Mohommad national park which was full of baracuda, tortoises, angel fish and all the usuaul trpoical fish you see, apparently you can see hammerheads if you are lucky but we didnt.

You'll have a fab time...enjoy!

Have you considered basing yourself in Dahab rather than Sharm? It is a beautiful town, 1 hour north of Sharm, everything is much cheaper there and the atmosphere is lovely and chilled out. There is plenty of fabulous diving there, including the famous Canyon and Blue Hole dives. You can take trips down to Sharm to do the Thistlegorm or other sites specifically if you want.
It's not the biggest party town, so don't go there if you want to go clubbing!

Ragazza,
I was there a couple of months ago.
The resort itself is nothing special but the diving is fantastic.
As a previous poster said, it depends on the hotel you stay in.
We stayed in the Hyatt which had a private beach and a jetty to dive off into deep waters about 100m from the shore. We spent quite a few nights in the hotel as the restaurants there were very good, better than anything we sampled in the resort itself.
Great holiday, guaranteed sun, no soccer shirted lager louts so all in all would recommend it.

Back