screen resizing

car

Have a sony 32" flat screen with 4-5 screen sizes. (wide,letter,.. etc)
Had NTL cable for the last 4 years without a problem but recently had to move to their mmds service due to a house move. Since the switch, the screen size is continually resetting itself depending on what channel Im watching. Ive tried setting from the digital remote and the tv remote but it switches back to an incorrect size as soon as I change channel. Ideas?

Does this happen on any particular channels.

I noticed the same thing happening with RTE recently, then I found out that they have started broadcasting programs in widescreen, but not their ads, hence the resizing.

Maybe this is similar on other channels?

definitely happening with RTE, cant remember its any of the others but if Im flicking around then I have to continually reset.. really annoying.

It used to happen me with RTE all the time but seems to have stopped now that they're broadcasting in widescreen. I always have the screen in "smart" mode but when the ads came were on RTE it used to resize to 4:3

Your TV may have some settings to control the level of auto-format selection. For example, my old Sony Wega TV had options for each external input (AUX1 etc) to set the Auto Format Detection to "Off", "Normal" or "Full" (or similar words). On "Full" I used to find the format changed all the time e.g. when ads were on. On "Normal" it waited 30 seconds before attempting to correct the format, which meant that it was more stable.

Perhaps your TV has similar settings?