Scratches on Polished Porcelan Tiles

fmmc

Hi,

I've recently (3 months) laid a polished porcelain floor. Recently I've noticed
numerous small scratches on the surface of the tiles & I've been advised that I should have sealed the floor immediately after tiling. Is it now too late to seal and prevent further scratching or should I seal anyway? Thanks.

Hi Alba, I'm showing my ignorance now, but I didn't know there were different types of polished porcelain tiles? What type of information do you need?

Sealing now should help minimise further damage. I don't think any amount of sealing either initially or now could protect against all damage.
Leo

fmmc, what kind of porcelain tiles are they? Fully glazed kind, or matt finish? And how much was it for sq yard, if you wont mind me asking? I have recently ordered 40 sq yards of polished porcelain @ 24.99 / sq yard – polished (not matt finish) porcelain – made in China.

thanks!

Moneypitt, where did you get it for that price? Most places I've been looking in recently are €40 plus!
Leo

Moneypitt, I paid £17Stg in a sale in Enniskillen. They're fully glazed & made in Itlay.

Had a look thru a number of threads and this seems the most relevant. Have just laid some polished porcelain tiles and am worried that like fmmc's they'll get scratched. Is there a special sealant for polished porcelain as opposed to your generic 'porous tile sealant', used for things like terracotta. Fmmc, if you're on, could you let me know what you ended up doing?

Thanks

i posted on this recently, i was advised that porcelain costing €60 per sqm or above would not require sealing! below that, especially chinese porcelain would need to be sealed. call into a tilers, sealent is not expensive and you just paint it on with a roller and wait for it to dry - the guy likened it to washing down a worktop(!). you then need to treat every year, firstly removing the old sealant and putting new layer on. i was more concerned with staining but assuming you got advise about it protecting against chipping, must work for that too!

I got the tiles from a shop in Drogheda (don't want to advertise them, not very happy with them either - PM me if you want more details).

I have the tiles down now for approx 6 months, haven't had a chance to apply the sealant, but no scratches/stains so far. I am hoping to get a polishing machine (whats it called, has anyone used them before) and give them a good buffing.

Here's a very helpful thread on polished porcelain, seal or not to seal etc.

[broken link removed]

General idea seems to be to seal them anyway - ah another glorious DIY weekend!! :-(

sloggi said:
i posted on this recently, i was advised that porcelain costing €60 per sqm or above would not require sealing! below that, especially chinese porcelain would need to be sealed.

This might be the previous thread that you refer to.

Very important....
Before you seal the tiles, clean then throughly and wiped them to ensure that they are clean & free of dirt, because once you seal them you will seal the dirt in also.The sealant is cheap enough. A bottle container is about €30