Scratched Windows

M

Mumofone

We moved into a new build house in April and since we moved in I have been mentioning to the builders about the number of scratches on the windows. Most of the windows have a few hairline scratches and are only visible when I am up close to them when cleaning them. There are two major problem windows in the main living room and the play room. They are in bits so to speak and all I keep getting from the builder is that the Window company will not stand over scratches.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do about it? They are so bad that when the sun shines and you look out the window all you can see are the scratches.

Many thanks

Its not up to the window company to protect the windows during construction. The window company may have supplied a plastic wrapping on the windows but it is the builders responsibility to replace glass that has been damaged. Instruct the builders to replace the panes in question.

I had a similiar problem when I moved into a new house a few years ago. The builder replace them without any arguement. He said its the cleaners they get in to clean the windows after all the outside work is done that scratch them. They use blades to take off some of the dirt and if the blade is damaged or they're not careful they end up scratching the window. He said they normally send the bill to the window company. Not sure if these are same type of scratches that you have.

Not to put a damper on this, but moving in April last probably gives you little come back with the builder. If they do replace, it will only be as a good will gesture at this stage. Was this not picked up on a snag list prior to closing?

sorry didn't notice the april part. I complained about mine within the first week of moving in so it was really obvious it wasn't something I'd done. I'd be surprised if they'd do anything now.

When the snagging was being done the windows were still full of grime but I did mention these scratches to the builder within the first two weeks of moving in.

I was heavily pregnant when we moved in and the cleaning of the windows was not top of my agenda. Anyway we still had building work going on around us.

Will try builder again.

Back