scrapped car - need advice

S

spooly

Hi there,
I (foolishly) gave my car to a friend of a friend for scrapping unaware of the rules for scrapping cars, ie Authorised Scrap Yards. I sent in the registration cert but they sent it back with a letter about the scrappage rules.
The car has been scrapped but i doubt i will get a cert of destruction, what are my options here with regard to breaking my association with the car.
Thanks

use the registration form to transfer it to your friends name - put in his name and address then send it off. He will then be the owner of the car and you will have noting to do with it.

If the car is definitely scrapped,you can just keep the book or destroy it.As there will be no comeback on you if the car is definitely scrapped

your friend should have a receipt for the money received for scrapping the car.
get a copy and keep it with the old tax book as proof of scrappage.

I had my car wrote off and the insurance company sent an agent to collect it. He took all documentation with him (it was still taxed) I thought that was the end of it until until I received my car tax renewal notice. The agent had not changed it from my name and the Motor Tax office would not accept a written letter from me to say I did not own the car anymore. Even after obtaining an Affidavit from a solicitor they would not take me off being the owner because the change of ownership slip had not been sent in. If the car was repaired I would still be liable to fines for that car.

Back