Scotsmen and kilts - why?

Staples

In today's Irish Times, there's a picture of some Scottish bloke at some dinner dance in Mayo, wearing a kilt. Notwithstanding the apparent obligation for all Scottish men to own a kilt, is it equally obligatory to bring it on all foreign trips and to make a point of wearing once there.

I've often wondered. Do they wear kilts at similar functions in Scotland? Or do they just do it when abroad to give the locals a laugh and/or to pull women?

I don't see what the problem is, I'm very pro-kilts myself and feel they should be introduced as acceptable casual wear for all good looking men. Sorry, I mean all men.

Id like to see more men in kilts tbh.

Its Scottish formal wear, so its the equivalent to a tuxedo or 4 piece suit- and yes they do wear them in Scotland too.

Truthseeker- maybe we should have a poll on kilts?

Oh yes - in fact I dont see why Scottish ladies should have all the joy of seeing the kilted men - lets get a vote for ALL nationalities to support the kilt!!!

Its Scottish formal wear, so its the equivalent to a tuxedo or 4 piece suit.

That's my point. If it's the equivalent of a tuxedo, why do they wear them so frequently when abroad? Is it just a ruse to pull women or do they prefer the "al fresco" experience.

That's my point. If it's the equivalent of a tuxedo, why do they wear them so frequently when abroad? Is it just a ruse to pull women or do they prefer the "al fresco" experience.

Nope, as said above, it's the equivelant of a tuxedo/smart suit elsewhere. Some men will chose to wear one abroad to respresent their country but go to any weddding/celidh/dinner dance in Scotland and you'll find many wear it in the same way others would wear a suit.

Some men even wear it as everyday wear, Vanilla.

The Queen: Sir, is anything worn under the kilt?

Scotsman: Nae m'am, everything's in full working order.

Was at my cousins wedding the other day. He is Scottish, bride is Irish and it was in Ireland. Most of the scots wore their kilts and I have to say it looked lovely. They are very proud of their tradition and quite right too. My cousins nephew was after getting his very first kilt and he was full of pride!