Scored A Gas Line...

Sylvester3

Right this is a bit embarrassing. I used a heavy duty belt and rotary sander on the floorboards in my living room and was very satisfied with the result until I went to polish off the hard to do bits with a hand sander and noticed a fairly deep score in a blocked off gas line beside the fire place. Now the score looks to be about a mm into the pipe, and it hasnt gone through. I don't intend on having a gas fire, but I'm a wee bit worried that I should have someone look at it.

Does this sound like an expensive job to fix? Do I have to talk to the Gas Board? Can I cover it in electrical tape and push it under the floorboards ?

I have to tell you this story, the gas man came on Friday to reconnect our supply and I told him about the damaged gas line. He told me "Well thats the end of that, then." and I expected him to pack up and go, but he said he would look at it and tell me what I needed to do. In fact he looked at it and said - "I can fix that for you".

Can you believe that? He went and fixed my capped off gas line in the living room for free, then went and reconnected the gas. I know I'm paying €115 euro to have the gas reconnected, but I can hardly begrudge that now after the quality of that service! I dont think I'm ever going to complain about the gas board again!

It's all about safety, you would be surprised how many people would leave a leak, i once dealt with a explosion after a lady used a Brillo pad and cello tape to fix a leak.

I was a bit apprehensive looking at this thread, TBH, as I thought it concerned drugs that make you laugh!