School Milk Scheme 1982

Our milk had a touch of class as it was always served in a small glass bottle and therefore didn't taste too bad unlike the sambos. Buns on Wednesday were great.

I used to envy my teacher who was served (yes, by a lady with a trolley !) tea and Lincoln Cream biscuits at morning break time. My desk was in front of his, and I used to sneak a look to see if he would leave any biscuits ! For years afterwards I wanted to become a teacher when i grew up !

I worked in one job where we had a tea lady with trolley who came around twice a day with tea/coffee and bickies. I would say that this was a semi-state operation but I'm afraid that I might be responsible for increasing Purple's blood pressure even further with all this discussion of public service/semi-state perks!

Here in the English Midlands back in the mid 1950's we had the 1/3rd of a pint bottles of milk at my secondary school. No biscuits or sandwiches though.

Our milk had a touch of class as it was always served in a small glass bottle and therefore didn't taste too bad unlike the sambos. Buns on Wednesday were great.
Yeah - we had the glass bottles too. Wasn't sure of they were 1/4 or 1/3 of a pint.

Definitely no milk in our school. We just brought sods of turf. Check with your Grannies they might remember.

I remember the early protoypes were sealed bags which were the best craic for easy squirting and leaving in front of car wheels for explosive effect.

Then as time moved on there was all sorts of flavoured milky gunk including Benny Bunny.

This was later used to hilarious effect in secondary school where the few eco warriers before their time were slagged with the slogan

"Free the Benny Bunnies"

On a client site I visit regularly, they have this...Actually I'm there today and I can hear the trolley now for morning tea! lol

The only people that got them in my school were the kids whose parents were on social welfare or dole or whatever it was called back then.

If a kid who was entitled to it was out somebody else got to take their place.

I have a notion these orange drinks were called "wigwams" and we used to freeze them in the summer?
Yep definitely called Wigwams ! - Takes you back doesn't it !

As for the size of the milk bottles, I think they were 1/3rd pint.

It seems that the EU got involved in the scheme in 1982, but I went through primary in the 70's and we had the milk, sandwiches/buns etc, perhaps our own government were sponsoring it at that stage ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all, sure if she woke you lot up when she gave you your tea she probably increased productivity...

We definitely had free milk in primary school in the early 60s....also sandwiches daily with buns on a Wednesday. Then moved to a different primary school in 1968 and they didn't have the sambos or buns, just the milk. (Both schools in Dublin)

if there's one thing I hate, it's room temperature milk.

Late 70's milk scheme ----- Japers won't sleep for a month now.
Around that time my Ma used to pack our prairie sandwiches in an old butter carton (before the days of a lunch box). One day we were all asked to show the teacher what we brought to school for lunch. Opened the lid and what did i find? Butter. The humiliation.
I might have dreamt this up but did Charlie Haughey give us all tooth brushes around then?

On the days that you didn't want corned beef, easy singles, sugar or salad you'd ask your Ma for a prairie one. Just two slices of buttered bread stuck together. Come to think of it my Ma had strange names for lots of things. The immersion heater was known to us as the emergency heater. Hundreds&Thousands were jimmydedogs.