school detention

hwin1

Hi guys, just wanted to ask anyone if they know if a child gets detention, is it legal for the child to do that detention from 8am til 8.45am if it entails the child leaving her home at 6.30am to catch 2 buses to school and travelling quite some distance in the dark alone? Has anyone else heard of this?

This is nothing to do with a legal situation, if the parent feels that the detention could not be done at that time then surely they could contact the school and rearrange the detention for a more suitable time, explaining that it will be difficult for child to get in to school at that time!....... On the other hand if the kid has to leave at 6.30 am - it'll probably be the last time they get a detention!. Just contact the school, explain and rearrange!

Interesting question,I dont have an answer to it though.
How old is the child?

If it were me I would contact the school and perhaps ask if detention could be done either after school or during lunch break?

Based on the fact that you as a parent are not prepared to allow the child to travel alone at this hour of the morning.

thank you thedaras, quite rightly so, not angry, just never heard of the like of this before, detention was always done after school,the girl involved is 17, I was just taken aback at the fact that the teacher was ok with her travelling at that hour, I know there are some teachers on this site and was just looking for advice, Setanta 12, thought there might be a change in the "rules" so to speak!!!! I didn't think it was a ridiculous query... merely a question,this is a site intended for those, is it not? I called the school and rescheduled the detention for Fri eve from 3pm til 3.45pm. Thank you thedaras.

Well Im delighted its worked out for all involved.

Just a general comment (and not specific to this case).

I see quite a few of my daughter's schoolmates are travelling from long distances to come to school. They are bypassing their local schools to come to the school in the area they grew up, often using granny's address to get around 'living in the parish' rules. This leads to many problems with after-school activities and other community events. Maybe they would be better off in their local school?

I have 2 say I agree with u , complainer. I worked in the education system for a long time and have seen my fair share of what u r talkin bout but it is only fair to say, if Crumlin have a good after school programme and Walkinstown don't, where r u gonna say ur child lives?????

You tell the truth. It's the right thing to do and, even more important, it is the right example to give to your child.

Perhaps, but if the local school is eh, crap you have to look elsewhere. I know there are 2 schools in our parish and one is much better than the other.

I'm not talking about cases of two schools in the same parish. I'm talking about kids travelling from Tallaght/Clondalkin/Citywest to primary schools in Rathfarnham/Ballinteer.

I'm not talking about cases of two schools in the same parish. I'm talking about kids travelling from Tallaght/Clondalkin/Citywest to primary schools in Rathfarnham/Ballinteer.

Can't speak for Clondalkin or Citywest but there are very few girl's secondary schools in Tallaght hence all the buses leaving the area at 7 o'clock which is an unearthly hour for the poor kids. Son did it for years going to Templeogue because no places available in the very few boys secondary schools also.

Please be aware of with regard to text speak.

You tell the truth. It's the right thing to do and, even more important, it is the right example to give to your child.

What is more important telling the truth and putting your child in a bad school or lying and getting your child into a good school. As a parent I'd have not contest in deciding what to do.

What is more important telling the truth and putting your child in a bad school or lying and getting your child into a good school. As a parent I'd have not contest in deciding what to do.

I'd have no difficulty in deciding, either, but I suspect that we would make different decisions.

My practical parenting obligations have been discharged, but I would like to think that I have managed to inculcate some important values like truthfulness and a sense of honour.

My practical parenting obligations have been discharged, but I would like to think that I have managed to inculcate some important values like truthfulness and a sense of honour.
Don't forget a sense of community.

Hi Sue Ellen, had just got in from a xmas party and had just been texting my friends to let them know I was home safely,as you can see from the time the post was placed here, please excuse me for the text chat.My daughter's dad had just died when we moved to our present location and I thought to change schools as well at that time may have been detrimental(not sure if thats spelt right, sorry)to her well being and education and thats the reason I left her in familiar surroundings and among friends and teachers that would understand if she was having a bad day, had circumstances been different, I may have changed her to a local school,perhaps it would have helped her integrate with the other children in the community better. We are here 5 years now and she still hasn't fit in to the local community properly, just makes you wonder are you doing good or bad for them?