Schidel Chimneys

hayabusa

Hi,
There is a chimney system that comes in a kit on a pallet. It is called the Schidel Chimney system. Has anyone used this or does anyone know anything about them.
I am looking at these in preference to a conventional block built system.

Thanks.

they are widely used with timber frame systems......

no issues with them at all. will you be using a precast fireplace??

sydthebeat,

I am using it on a block construction.
I am planning on having the chimney serving 2 fireplaces, one in the sitting room and one in the living room.
The sitting room will be a marble or timber fireplace, and the other side will be a gas effect fire. I do not know what they are called however its approx 1 foot of the ground and looks like a flat screen television pushed into the wall.
Do you know what these are called ???

PS when you say a precast fireplace, do you mean precast iron or precast concrete.
Thanks

can you get the scheidel system in a double flue???

im curious as to why you would go for this instead of a traditional block chimney??

Just heard that they were quicker to build and that they are more efficient. As far as i am aware they do them in a double flue. Another reason it is between 2 open plan rooms and i thing the Schidel system can be built narrower that a traditional block finish.

can you get the scheidel system in a double flue???

im curious as to why you would go for this instead of a traditional block chimney??

The chimney is cheaper and takes up less space. The reason it is cheaper is mainly due to the fact it is less labour intensive.

Ein

We are building a house in about 3 weeks, and the house will have 2 of these, both single flue ones. One for fire, one for a range.

I have contacted both the agents for Scheidl here, and neither have even bothered to come back to me with a price or anything. I was just about to give up, when I came across another company who make a similar one in Ireland. The company is Booth Concrete in Abbeyleix, Co Laois 057 8730166. http://www.boothconcrete.com/

The ones we're getting are actually pre-assembled in sections, so the entire system is only 3 pieces, and they drop it in by crane from the truck.

No affiliation with them other than as a soon-to-be customer. Will let you know how it goes........

Is the booth 1 just mass concrete i.e. more for ease of build than better insulated?

It's a lightweight concrete, and offers speed of build and good performance, without all the blocklaying/scaffolding and general awkwardness we'd have with traditional chimneys.