scart leads - all the same?

bofarr01

Hi,
Wanted to get Scart leads to connect my TV/Sky/DVD/Video but there seem to be 2 different types? One (cheaper) marked as 'AV', the other as 'Universal' - can anyone advise ont eh difference? The dolt in the shop didn't seem to lnow the answer either although he tried to bluff something that I couldn't understand!

Cheers,
Brian

I think that a Universal SCART has all 21 pins wired while an AV SCART leaves some optional pins unconnected. Unfortunately I can't remember in which circumstances which variant is required and couldn't find anything useful online but I suspect that a fully wired Universal SCART is not required in most cases.

Update: [broken link removed] describes various different SCART wiring arrangements so might be of assistance.

You can also get varying quality ones...gold plated is best I think now, esp. gold plated with no oxygen.
To be honest, not sure if that only makes a difference if you have the very best DVD player and the very best TV. Not sure if it makes a difference to your average set-up.
Even though I have read articles that point out that any system set-up is only as good as the wires you are using as connectors...i.e. no point having top of the range deluxe €800 DVD player and getting a €4.99 scart lead in Dunnes.

Back