Scapping a car

Red Devil

Hi All,

I have recently given up a year long fight with my fiat punto 01 which has been nothing but a nightmare since being purchased it probs have ranged from the engine (nail in the coffin) to the battery and lastly the steering. When i look back when i bought it the car dealer (cowboy) knew what he was unleasing on me.

I have finally decided to get rid of it through passing to scrap dealer or dismantler however before i start making the calls is their any procedures i must follow ?? Examples as below

***Notify Garda, insurance company, road tax/revenue ???****

As just phoning the dismantlers to collect and we all live happily ever after seems a little too easy ??

Also i appreciate people may have other ideas for what to do with it but my head has been wrecked the last few weeks with what to do and above is my final decision so would apprecaite if people could opinionate on the above....

Rgds,
The Devil

The OP sounds like s/he doesn't want this car to go back on the market (I could be wrong). So I think if anyone is offering to crush/scrap the car s/he would want to be reassured this is what will actually happen.

Having bought a car (long ago) that was supposedly scrapped, I know where the OP is coming from.

Keep your Registration Cert (don't hand this over to the dismantlers), just get them to sign that it has been scrapped, and either post to DOE in Shannon or send to your local motor tax office. This will then go on record for the vehicle. If you have 3 months (or more) motor tax still on the car, you can claim a refund.

I would also notify the insurance company.

Back