Scanner recommendations

harvey

I used to have an AgfaScan scanner but as I have now XP with modern connections etc, it seems to be a non starter.

Any recommendations for a new scanner for small use, smalle rthe better. What are the min. spec I should look out for.

By the way, am I right to say that it is not possible to link a parrell connection (old pc) with a USB2 connection on a new pc ? Someone told me different power levels and basically old printers, scanners etc are obsolete with a new pc.

Thanks for help.

harvey said:
By the way, am I right to say that it is not possible to link a parrell connection (old pc) with a USB2 connection on a new pc ? Someone told me different power levels and basically old printers, scanners etc are obsolete with a new pc.
Not so; see this thread. But the data transfer will only happen at the lower speed.

I wouldn't normally recommend an all-in-one, much less Lexmark, but since you've asked about printers in another thread and mentioned that space was tight, might be of interest?

Thanks Doc. Think I'll be going separates as reviews on all in ones, cost of cartridges etc are dear. Can you repost the link for that parallel to USB in 2 posts above as it let me yesterday but I don't seem to be allowed today !

Yeah got it and the original now works ! Think someone thought I was spamming yesterday and perhaps they temporarily stopped access ? Just got to figure out if this cable will do the trick or not. Can't believe they told me in PC World that it wasn't possible due to different powerage etc. - guess they hoped I would buy a new printer / scanner or all in one. Come to think of it Advance Tyres were like that when I got a puncture and said I needed a new tyre when 2 other independent garages said I didn't.

I found this with PC world before,I was told I couldn't re-fill cartridges,that it was illegal,and he refused to tell me if the all in one I was buying had a chipped cartridge in it!I ended up buying a HP PSC1210,haven't had any hassle yet,have refilled the cartridges a few times so far,quality is fine,for my needs.

I have the same HP PSC1210 as pennypincher - have had it for two years with no probs.

I have a Canon (Canoscan5200F) it has 2400 x 4800dpi and a gadget for scanning photos from negatives which saves loads of time. quality good too.