Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katman

HI

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this type of scam? Well, I'm pretty sure it is a scam. This guy wants to order some goods from me. He didn't want to place the order through paypal via my website, he contacted me via e mail. He wants to send me a cashiers cheque for the value of €8,000. Then he wants me to subtract my charge (around €800) and send the baleance back to him.

Here is his latest e mail. Has anyone else come across this?

Katman

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:04:52 -0700
Subject: payment arrangement
To: xxxxxx@hotmail.com

hello,
thanks for your response, below are the sizes i prefer
20x24"
24x36"
36x48"
pls i will be issuing a check of € 8,000 to you which include my shippers fee.
as soon as you get payment pls kindly deduct your cost for the paintings and send the
balance to my shipper who will be using the money for his pick up arrangement trip to
your location. and also helping me to ship other items i bought. he will call you for a pick up
date as soon as you get payment.pls also send me your phone numbers for easy convarsation.
thanks,
Mr Harry

Yes, its a regularly used scam. You will find similar comments on this site if you search.

Yes have received similar - are the descriptions at least accurate? i.e. are the measurements/qties he mentioned relevant to your business?

Most of the mails I receive just urgently require 20 x 'randomly picked product' which doesn't often even make sense as it is essential to specify various options etc in our business.

I suppose you have to ask yourself - is it normal for someone to commit to €8000 worth of goods with no prior queries/discussion/clarification?

It certainly wouldn't be normal for us. Ask him for payment in full, in advance, include a shipping/courier fee that you will organise, with no strange conditions and advise that when the amount clears in your account you will ship the goods.

You'll probably find he will suddenly not be interested.

Send him a dredit caaount application form (if you don't have one make one up) and advise it's payment up front for the first order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back