Saving for retirement

time to plan

Hi there, hopefully this is the right place to start, and then I might need to follow up with some specific questions in the Retirement and Pension forum

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 46

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 185,000 (proprietary director)
Annual gross income of spouse: 25,000 (sole trader)

Monthly take-home pay: 10,300 (combined for the two of us)

Type of employment: I am a proprietary director (daily rate contractor); spouse is a sole trader (self-employed healthcare professional)

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving? Saving 3k per month, but have the opportunity to increase total saved to saving and pensions, as my income has increased (see question below)

Rough estimate of value of home - 550,000
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 240,000
What interest rate are you paying? 3.0% (fixed for another 18 months)

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc - none

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? - yes
If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

Savings and investments: 17,000 cash savings

Do you have a pension scheme? we both have small but not trivial pensions from previous employments and are tracking down details of expected benefits etc.

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Ages of children: 2 kids under age of 14

Life insurance: Mortgage cover only

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?
My income has increased recently. It's likely to be stable, but with self-employment there's always the chance it could go down, although it's a pretty Covid / recession proof sector. I want to make the most of the very fortunate position I'm in from an income point of view to make up for the lack of decent pension provision. I also want to increase my cash saving as I like to have 6 to 12 months accessible savings on hand as a rainy day fund.

Question 1: I intend to put the maximum that is tax deductible into a pension - at age 48, 25% of 115k. How do I best approach this from the perspective of
a) pension type (PRSA or should my Ltd Company set up an occupational pension), and
b) investment strategy - I'm not conservative in my attitude to risk, but I am skeptical as to anything exotic or towards paying annual fees to active fund managers (maybe this is a contradictory statement?

Question 2: Is it worth my spouse also contributing to a pension (PRSA?) given that she is under the 40% income tax threshold?

Question 3: How do I best manage saving outside of the pension, probably another 2000 per month? My goals are:
a) Increase my cash reserves from 17,000 to 60,000
b) Save money for kids' university education which need to be available in a timeframe of 6 to 14 years.
c) Save additional cash for the long term, as I've no plans to adjust my lifestyle.

Question 4: Should I see a Financial Adviser and if so how do I pick a good one and what should I avoid. My instinct is to pay a fee for advice rather than fund commission, but is that reasoanble?

Thanks in advance!

Can you clarfy why your earnings are 185k and then you say this regarding the pension ? I presume one is a typo but which one ?
185k earning is correct.

I understand that the maximum amount of earnings taken into account for calculating tax relief is 115k. Have I misinterpreted this?

Oh sorry, hadn't thought of that. You forgot the most important choice. Overpay/pay off your mortgage. If it was me I would put 2k off your mortgage by way of overpayment now. This will save you 3% of 24k in one year (Edit: Doh just seen you are on fixed rate so maybe go to the following till you can overpay). I'd build up the rainyday fund to about 30 to 40k with the rest and once that is done put it into your pension.

proprietary director
This is the key bit when it comes to pension. Get proper advice, but the company should be able to lay a lot more into your pension than the PAYE limits you mentioned later.

Outside pension, the best return you'll get it overpaying your mortgage.

Thanks everyone.

1. I'd overlooked the employer contributions to the pension not having an earning limit. A bit of research I've just done tells me (if I've read it right) that employer contributions to a PRS will attract a personal benefit in kind, so PRSI and USC would be due, whereas for an occupational pension, it wouldn't be due. Therefore my company should set up an occupational pension and then I can work out how much it contributes to the pension each month.
2. It doesn't look like it's worthwhile my spouse setting up a pension. Better to maximise contributions from my company.
3. I should save into my rainy day fund for the rest of my mortgage fixed rate period and then overpay my mortgage (makes sense as I would need an approximately 6% guaranteed return (pre-tax) to beat overpayment which is obviously not available)
4. I or my company definitely need advice on pension set up.

Thanks again. Any other comments welcome!

There are other posters than will advise much better re pension.

3. I should save into my rainy day fund for the rest of my mortgage fixed rate period and then overpay my mortgage
No, you should overpay it as soon as you can. You might have to pay a break fee for the amount you want to overpay, but it will be less than the interest you save.

There are other posters than will advise much better re pension.

No, you should overpay it as soon as you can. You might have to pay a break fee for the amount you want to overpay, but it will be less than the interest you save.

Thanks, I'll look into that. However, I do want to build up my rainy day fund in any case (it's much lower than I'm comfortable with as a self-employed person).

And a bit more research on the pension is leading me towards a Director's Pension.

1. I'd overlooked the employer contributions to the pension not having an earning limit.
FWIW when I setup an Exec pension a few years ago I was given a Maximum Funding Statement to show what the company and I was allowed contribute. I had about 10 years service with the company, no pension and 23 years until retirement. The company could make a lump sum contribution up to €790k and then between employee/employer a further €92k could be added to the pension per annum (noting that if you kept that up you would go over the €2m limit!). Night and day difference to a typical pension!

FWIW when I setup an Exec pension a few years ago I was given a Maximum Funding Statement to show what the company and I was allowed contribute. I had about 10 years service with the company, no pension and 23 years until retirement. The company could make a lump sum contribution up to €790k and then between employee/employer a further €92k could be added to the pension per annum (noting that if you kept that up you would go over the €2m limit!). Night and day difference to a typical pension!
Thanks very much for the info. Appreciated.

Ideally you should get the Company to establish an Executive (Director’s) Pension Plan (a one-man occupational pension).
The advantages are:
- its a way of extracting wealth from the Company tax efficiently
- the Company can invest significant contributions (get max contribution calculation)
- there is no BIK on any Company contributions
- any contribution by the individual (current max 30% Of €115,000 after age 50) is tax deductible at marginal rate
But remember that there is currently a max fund limit of €2m (slightly higher when you take tax on excess lump sum into account). Based on a salary of €185k you could fund up to €2m without exceeding Revenue limits.
I suggest you get good professional advice in establishing any arrangement.

Ideally you should get the Company to establish an Executive (Director’s) Pension Plan (a one-man occupational pension).
The advantages are:
- its a way of extracting wealth from the Company tax efficiently
- the Company can invest significant contributions (get max contribution calculation)
- there is no BIK on any Company contributions
- any contribution by the individual (current max 30% Of €115,000 after age 50) is tax deductible at marginal rate
But remember that there is currently a max fund limit of €2m (slightly higher when you take tax on excess lump sum into account). Based on a salary of €185k you could fund up to €2m without exceeding Revenue limits.
I suggest you get good professional advice in establishing any arrangement.
Thanks, Conan.

Back