satellite receiver (radio)

cph

Any suggestions for make and model of portable radio to receive RTE's Astra satellite transmissions while traveling in Germany and Italy

Don't think it's possible to receive Astra transmissions without a dish, which would kill the portability. XM and Sirius offer portable satellite radio systems, but these don't carry RTE.
Leo

Hi

Saw the end of an advert on Sky TV recently, for some sort of box which played sound from Astra (Sky) TV & Radio ... suspect it's for household when you have Sky TV already, but not entirely sure so maybe worth phoning them ... sorry, cant recall the name of the gizmo, but it looked like a pyramid shape I think.

Hope this helps

Cheers

G>
[broken link removed]

That's the Sky [broken link removed]. It gets the signal from your Sky box rather than directly from the satellite and has a range of 30m from the box, but they aren't available in Ireland yet.
Leo

Thanks for the suggestions. I have also been advised to try the Worldspace Radio from www.nevada.co.uk although I am unsure if it will pick up signals from ASTRA

cph

I have a WorldSpace radio. It's designed specfically for their system. For Europe, the satellite is AfriStar. 100% incompatible with standard DVB FTA kit. You cannot get anything from Astra on a WorldSpace radio. When I got the radio, there were about 15-20 free stations, but gradually they all went sub. I think WRN, which carries part of 5-7 live at 19:00, is still free. WorldSpace does not carry a full RTE service. If you're rich, you could stream it over your GPRS phone....