Satellite dishes and breaches of planning regulations

LFC Murphy

In the estate where I live I have found that everyday more and more houses are erecting Satellite Dishes. Now I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but it's affecting the view of the estate. The dishes in question are placed on the front of the houses, some of which are tastefully put up, however there are some just thrown up with the cable brought thru the open window. There are a lot of rented accomadation in my estate which appear to have the poorly erected ones.

This is a new estate, less than a year old. There is also no management company.

What are my options.

Thanks

Erecting a dish on the front of a house requires planning permission. No permission is required for a dish at the back or side of a house.

The first thing to do is contact the landlords of the offending properties, if possible, and ask them to have the dishes moved. If they are not cooperative, you should contact the planning enforcement department for your area. Check your local council's website.

{edited to fix my type re back of house}

FYI - :
If the estate is privately managed there may be additional rules and regulations in the management agreement/lease.

A satellite dish (up to one metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

Some houses have two bloody dishes.

I may write to the houses, addressed to "Owner/landlord" with a copy of the legislation with one month to comply or take further action with Planning office.​

I may write to the houses, addressed to "Owner/landlord" with a copy of the legislation with one month to comply or take further action with Planning office.
I don't think that such an anonymous (presumably?) approach is such a good idea. Better to contact the relevant authority (e.g. Local Authority planning department or management company if applicable) and let them deal with it.

Just curious - do these installations really affect you? Our neighbours have a dish at the front in breach of both the management company lease agreement and planning rules and while I'd ideally prefer that they didn't ultimately it doesn't really bother me. Other residents in the estate get a bit more upset about stuff like this.

I know its irrelevant in terms of planning regulations, but, in terms of aesthetics it might not be possible to position the dish where it would cause the least aesthetic disturbance.

I personally thought that all the satellite dishes in my estate on the front of buildings looked really poorly, and was determined to have my dish at the back. That went out window when I found there was no signal at the back of the building! So if you are just hoping to get the dish moved from the front it might not be possible.

You can have a dish fitted onto an extension pole from the back which will get you the signal. that said it costs more upon instalation and most people seem to be happy to put them on the front as let's face it there is bugger all that will be done about it.

Every house has a chimney.......... I'm not asking they get rid completly, just adhere to the law

Probably get slated for this but I think this issue is petty. So people have dishes. Its basically the best means of tv. When an engineer comes out to install they check for the best possible signal and positon the dish accordingly. If he just throw it up onto my roof and looked unsigthly then i would say something to him. But how it looks on someone elses house really doesnt bother me. Why would it? So you drive past it every day and think it looks silly. Get over it. Its their house. if it was something as large as rubbish being dumped all over their garden then that is a different issue.

Last edited:
Have to say I agree totally and to be honest think it is time for a mind your own business thought.

I was waiting for those kind of responses in fairness, however this dishes are ones put up not by engineers, but by lazy so n so's and they look terrible.

In my view it disrupts the aesthetics of the estate and as it happens the law of the land agrees with me.

Anyway thanks for all responses.

I think that satellite dishes amount to visual pollution and that's why the law is there. I came home one day to find my neighbour sticking one right above the front door, which is 18 inches from my own front door as we live in a terrace. It was one of those gigantic ones, too. There was no way I would stand for it. The law will be enforced if you kick up enough fuss.

LFC Murphy,

I have to say I agree with you whole hearted, people who are not bothered by thing like this probably have unkept houses themselves. There is no shame in looking after you neighbourhood. There are too many companies installing these dishes that are being allowed to get away with putting dishes on the front of a house because they are too lazy to get up on the roof and put it on the chimney. The problem is that the cowboys are probably getting paid the same as the guy who does the job right

The other point is that it's breaking the law. Why be intolerant of, say, tax evasion, yet tolerate this kind of thing. It hurts us all.

It's illegal to attach a dish to a chimney.
Leo
Is it illegal or against some Code of Practice issued by some Assocaition of TV aerial installers? I remember hearing/reading somewhere that attaching a dish to a chimney is not recommended as the wind-load could affect the stability of the chimney. Rather that looking at a TV channel beamed from a satellite in the sky you could be directly looking at the satellite through a gaping hole in your roof

My understanding is that its not illegal - just not recommended practise. Theres the potential damage to the chimney for those who decide to bore. Using a lashing kit is another option - but it doesnt make for the most stable of setups. Furthermore, if you need to adjust the dish due to it being misaligned in a storm, etc, its a big job getting up there as opposed to a side or back wall. Theres also more likelyhood of having problems with it in the wind if installed at that height.