Satellite Dish

maura

We are thinking of getting a satellite dish installed just getting free to air channels and aiming for the astra satellite. I was just wondering a couple of basic questions. Do you get astra 2d & 2b etc or just one of these. Can you get astra and hotbird at the same time?. Also at the moment we have ntl, and our electrician wired up some type of connector where we can receive all the channels upstairs too,(I am aware is against ntl rules) I was wondering if we got satellite would our upstairs tv accept all the channels received too?

I'm presuming you have NTL cable(?). If so, your best bet would be to check out the FAQ on www.satellite.ie. Afaik, you can't point your dish at more than one satellite — Astra 2d being the one that'll get you all the FTA Beeb/ITV channels — unless you rig up a motorised thingumabob that rotates the dish arm from one angle to another.

If you're in [broken link removed] territory, you should probably check out their best combined phone/TV/Broadband offer and weigh that up against the once-off price of going FTA...

Ignore the above info, its incorrect!!

You can get all the astra's and Hotbird from one satellite dish, ie astra at 28deg, 19deg and hotbird from 13deg. It will require a special dish and 3 lnbs. If you wish to have all the channels available in a second room and wish to watch a different channel in the second room you will need a second Sat receiver in the second room and have 3 dual lnbs at the satellite dish with seperate cable runns from dish to each receiver. i strongly suggest you visit www.digitalspy.co.uk and check out the satellite technical section.

DrM: Apparently you can with a special bracket which points the LNBs at the dish. One focuses on the signals from astra 2 while the other(s) which are offset and focus on the signals from the others. However it only works for satellites that are near one another eg 19E and 28E

Thanks givecredit, Dr. Moriarty and hansov, for your help. I presume the "special dish" that would be required would just be one with a larger diameter to grasp the extra degrees required? Would this work out cheaper than getting a motorised dish. I don't think I'd be up to the installation myself, being a novice d.i.y.er at best. Thanks for that website link digitalspy.co.uk, I have been checking it out and also boards.ie also, both very informative. On Friday last I hadn't a clue about satellites, now I am beginning to make more sense of them.

See this link to see the dish required, as well as lnbs and 4 way diseqe switch. scroll down the page to see dish setup. i would suggest 90cm for ireland. I also would suggest a professional install. this will be no easy task.
It is better then a moterised system because the channel changing time is a lot faster. you dont have to wait for the dish to move to the right satellite. The set up shown on the link is ideal for what u want. I have purchased from this shop with no problems.

Enjoy!!
http://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk/3satsystems.htm

Thanks again givecredit, very informative link there. Would there be any professional installation service that you would recommend?

Back