satellite dish cover

kellyoreilly

Does anyone know of an irish company that sells satellite dish covers? There are some english based companies on the internet. Also how do you measure a satellite dish. There are some very complicated ways mentioned on the web. I have no idea what size to order. Our box is Televes but dont know what the dish is.
Thanks

Have a look on tvtrade.ie (no connection) they have most standard dish sizes. That said they don't seem to do covers but if you were looking for advice they are very helpful and may give you the pros and cons of what you want to do.

You don't mention what type of cover you want or why you want it. That could also help in guiding you to options.

You don't mention what type of cover you want or why you want it.

Main reason to use a cover is to avoid signal interruption due to snow accumulation. I wouldn't have thought that was a major issue in Ireland though, hence there's no real market for these, and few/no suppliers.

Living very close to the sea. The salt air is rusting the dish. Someone suggested a cover might help

Hi,

We live within 500mtrs of the sea, have had a (Sky) Dish up for approx 8-years and while it's visibly rusty, the signal is still very good.

I would not be overly concerned with weather and rust, to be honest with you.

Anyway, at the rate techology advances it would probably be cheaper to replace the dish at some stage in the future when it does rust to a stage that its causing problems .... thats assuming you can't "charm" Sky into giving you a free dish, to keep your business needless to say :)

If your not a Sky customer and use Freeview, odds are you have a 80cm dish if your living in Ireland and using it to view the free Irish & UK channels. These can be replaced for approx €35 (excluding the LNB, which should be transferrable between the old and new dishes) ... installation will cost extra, but probably cheap enough if the dish is easily accessed.

Hope this helps.

Regads

Mr. Earl.

I've never heard of these. Live by the sea myself and dish is rusted to bits, but signal remains A1.

Shouldn't have thought rust would be a major problem except for aesthetics. You could always paint the dish making sure you don't move it in the process (otherwise you'll need to realign) and use the right paint (see discussion http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1301824)
Certainly I wouldn't bother with a dish cover in Ireland and as Leo said "few/no suppliers".

Back