SAT TV Query

edadam

I have recently moved into a new house and I got Sky sat installed. All rooms have tv points with cables hanging loose in the attic. Is it possible to get the Sky Sat pipe to every room in the house without signing up for multiroom ?

I'm sure that you could cable from the dish to the room cable points but if you only have one LNB on the dish or only one receiver/decoder then only one channel will be visible in each room at any one time. To simultaneously receive more than one channel you need multiple LNBs or multiple receivers/decoders (e.g. a la [broken link removed]).

Hi Clubman,

For the moment we only want to be able to view the TV in different rooms. I assume we need to take the SAT input and feed that to the attic and then back to each room ? Since all cables are fed from the rooms and the other ends are dangling in the attic do we need a junction box of some sort ? Is it expensive ? Is it DIY'able ?

Cheers

Presumably you would need to connect the satellite feed into a spliiter or junction box of some sort. Note also that there may be differences between regular and satellite cables (e.g. different Ohm ratings, construction and/or connectors) - I can't remember and could be wrong. I'm sure that more detailed information is available online. I also reckon that this is a DIY job but have no idea of the cost involved. Maybe somebody else can give you more detailed and authoritative information.

The guys on this site [broken link removed] might be able to explain this to you. Have a look at past posts there before diving in with a question.

Your multi-cables in the attic sounds like what my electrician did for me so that I'd only be charged for one room by ntl but would have cable in all rooms. I also have sky and if you can follow my description you'll be able to have sky and ntl in all your rooms, sky will only show the one channel for reasons already explained, however its still useful.
I have tv cables from all rooms running up to the attic
I have 1 ntl cable that also runs to the attic
I have a sky cable that enter my living room in the corner the tv/dvd/vcr/digibox is in.
I only use '1 in 2 out' splitters, for some reason a booster even when not plugged in caused interference whereas to date 8 '1 in 2 out' splitters have caused no signal degradation.
Connect up all the cables using the ntl cable as the first input to the splitter and then add more splitters as required. This allows ntl to be received in all rooms including the living room. Now instead of connecting the cable from the wall socket in the living room to the tv (or vcr) connect it to the output of the sky digibox. This results in the signal being sent back up to the attic and split off to each room, now you only have to tune sky in on the tv's in the other rooms. Obviously with this setup you can't watch ntl in the living room ( I should have or maybe will send another cable down to the living room). A further spin off from this is that you can also use this setup to watch a dvd or vcr in all rooms of the house as the output from the dvd/vcr can be connected to the tv wall socket and again tuned in on the tvs in the other rooms, conveniently the dvd/vcr seems to transmit at a different signal to the digibox which means that in my bedroom I have dvd, vcr or sky digital all on their own channels as well as all the usual ntl channels.
I've possibly made this more convoluted than it needs to be, but its simple, doesn't require an electronics degree and is very convenient, oh yeah, the dvd/vcr/digibox can't be controlled by remote control unless you're in the same room as them, although I have an additional setup involving a digisender to solve this problem but get the basic setup right first before you take the next step.

Last edited:
Thanks icantbelieve.

One more question for you. The cables in the attic are loose with no rf connector at the end. Do I need a special tool to attach the connector and where would I get them ?

If they are co-ax cables then no special tool is needed, get connectors and splitters from maplins/hardware store/atlantic etc.. and connect them to the ends of the cables yourself. Buy good quality ones though, this is one area where you get what you pay for in terms of better picture quality.

Do you need a special coax crimping tool to crimp the cable/connectsors ?

you can also get combiner units from brymar , they will send bidirectional commands which are necessary for sat lnbs to switch from horizontal to vertical mode

[broken link removed]

Just to update. Purchased my 6 way booster/distribution box, coax connectors and fly cable (€45). After a little trial and error....hey presto. Piped SAT TV in every room in the house !

Thanks guys.