Sat Nav car connection

MichaelBurke

Okay so just changed my car to one that doesn't have a cigarette lighter but has a 12v connection instead. Problem is my sat nav won't connect to this, what do I do, I presume I can buy a different cable, but haven't come across them before, had a quick look on the internet but wasn't sure where to look. This is possibly a very simple query but what's the answer. Thanks.

What does the 12V connector look like? You could buy a matching plug and wire it to a standard lighter socket like this [broken link removed]. Chances are Halfords or most motor factors will supply something to do the trick if your car is a reasonably popular make/model.
Leo

That should do

I soldered wires to the connections on the cigarette lighter connection to leave me a pair of leads. Bit more work but it did the trick with what was to hand.

Don't be tempted to just chop off the ciggie connector as most are dropping the voltage from 12 to 5 volt like a USB.

Found an igntion live off the light switch and wired into that.

Then hid the lot behind the dash beside the drivers door. Much neater than having th ecable up the middle of the dash.