Sardinia, any advice?

cara mc k

I know there is a thread on Sardinia, but wondering if anyone has been recently, specifically Alghero, has anyone stayed recently & if any accom that you would recommend.

Many thanks
Cara Mc K

Hi, Alghero and Sardinia generally are lovely. But very quiet, which is fine if you want a relaxing quiet holiday. Alghero itself is a scenic port, if you like fish restaurants - this is it! Relatively good value.

Hi,
I cycled the west coast of Sardinia last summer starting in Alghero and finishing just short of Cagliari. The west coast is beautiful and not very touristy so I would recommend hiring a car and exploring. I'd agree Alghero itself is a pretty fishing port but I only stayed two nights. The south west coast is particularly stunning.

I agree about the fish being excellent. The local white wine is excellent too. Food in general is good value.

Just one or two words of warning. Public transport from Alghero airport is dire and the taxi costs 25-30 euros. Also there are a lot of mosquitoes so bring DEET or something similar. Locals aren't too friendly outside the service industry. They are a little suspicious, somewhat like Corsica.

Gearoid

I went to Alghero, Sardinia in August 2003 for my honeymoon. If you're looking for peace and quiet, family-friendly surroundings, with limited nightlife, it's the place for you. It also tends not to attract the young rowdies characteristic of resorts in Spain and other parts of Europe. In fact most of the people on our flight there and back were in the 40 plus age group with some younger couples.

It was very hot when I was there, it was the middle of a heatwave, so it was 35 -40 degrees C every day. It also tends to be a place where mainland Italians come for holidays.

The food is lovely and very reasonable, typical Italian fare, pasta, pizza and seafood. There are also plenty of supermarkets for those who are self-catering, and they're definitely cheaper than Ireland! The beaches are also lovely and there is car hire available, I didn't chance it though, having seen the driving style of the Italians!

Hope this helps!

reply from cara mc k

Thanks for above, has anyone any names of accomodation they would recommend, I know everything looks lovely in the brochures but you can't beat real life advice, also trip advisor was very useful so thanks for that and other info.

Cara Mc K

agree with everything people said above, pretty but quiet which suited us down to the ground. we stayed in a hotel called san francesco or francisco, if you google it you should find it. was a good hotel nothing amazing but very central, clean etc. we hired a car for a day to travel around, must say found the italian drivers fine, there wasn't a huge amount of traffic around. just hope you don't have stupid people on your flight home who check in then head back into town and don't know that 1700 isn't in fact 7pm and delay your flight as their bags are already on the plane but that's a whole other story!

Cara Mc K, Did you ever get to Sardinia in the end? I have just booked flights and was looking for a first hand recommendation on accommodation rather than choosing from the "hotel sites".

I'm just back from a week in Sardinia, the weather was beautiful, we stayed in Hotel Margharita in Alghero on our first and last night, it's pretty basic but clean and 5 mins walk from the Old town, where all the restaurants are. We ate in Mirador on Saturday night, it was beautiful, though a little more expensive than other places we ate in, still alot cheaper than here at €25pp. If you are staying in Alghero for the entire holiday I would probably upgrade to a nicer hotel , but I'm afraid I don't know enough to give you any reccomendations. We hired a car and we travelled over to the east coast and stayed in Golfo Aranci in Hotel Gabbiano Azzuro for three nights, I booked it through hotelclub.com. It's a 4star hotel and we paid €36pps for a quad room. Pool, private beach, excellent value for money. There is not a whole lot to do in the town itself though. Great for just chilling out by the pool, beach etc. We also stayed in Hotel Pedralada in Castelsardo for 2 nights, the hotel itself was fine with a lvoely pool area, but there was a musty smell in the bedroom.

WaterWater feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions while it's all fresh in my head.

As already said have a look at tripadvisor.com as you can ask questions on the forum section.

Enjoy.

Back