Santry - Any opinions?

doggy

Hi there,

Have been researching a house purchase for about 6-8 months now. My girlfriend and I are FTBs and are looking for somewhere (3bed-semi, 350k incl S. Duty) on the Northside. She works in Ballymun and would like to be within walking distance if possible. This means either Glasnevin or Santry. Glasnevin looks slightly out of our reach, which leaves Santry. At first glance, houses there seem quite good value, particularly the Royal Oak area. Has anybody any experience/advice good or bad? Or indeed any alternative suggestions? Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.

I looked at a couple of houses in Royal Oak and thought they were lovely - it also looked like a settled/family area, people had been investing money in doing up their houses and there was a good atmosphere. I like Santry - the Omni Centre is getting a major face lift, and there's a nice new hotel/bar/ restaurant in the Northwood development. The only drawback with Royal Oak is that you are near the M50 roundabout and you might feel a little bit isolated without a car - but if that doesn't bother you I'd say go for it! There are also some decently priced houses around the Shanowen area - closer to DCU - they'd be dearer than Royal Oak, and older, and would need more work, but I'd consider them a better investment if you have the money to spend. But certainly, I saw a three bed in Royal Oak a while ago for 330,000 and it was a very nice property.

there are a few houses for sale in royal oak at the moment and it is a quiet settled family area,probably the only houses in santry at the moment where u will get a house for under 350 including stamp duty. there are alos some house in larkhill which isnt far away either but they are only 2 bed

Try the Larch Hill complex on Oscar Traynor Road as it is near Royal Oak and there are 3 bed town houses for sale there for under 350

I'm from Santry (near DCU) and have just sold my first house (near the Swiss Cottage). It is a fine area and I would recommend it. However, I often walked the dog thru Royal Oak and wasn't mad on it. Some of the houses looked rented out and a bit shabby. If you are buying one there, get one nearer the entrance, rather than down towards the industrial estate - the planes fly very low there and I was amazed how loud they were. I think that Aulden Grange and the other estate further down that road seem better, but I don't know anyone living in these to be able to comment further.

The estate near DCU is a good choice - the houses are older and may need more work but it is a good area - reasonably trouble free. I would say these are very popular though - I have seen a few of them when there have been viewings on and there are scores of people going to see them.

Back