Santiago De Compostela

whackin

Hi
I've been thinking recently about undertaking some of the famed walk (the way of St. James along the camines Frances) to this city for personal and spiritual reasons. However the whole thing is 100km and I'm more interested in doing about 100km over 5 or 6 days.
Does anyone know of any irish organisation that organises these sort of trips?
Or does anyone have any personal experience of taking it upon themselves?

The 100 kms by feet is the minimum distance you need to do in order to obtain "la compostelana" that is the official recognizition from the Santiago Cathedral that you did your "way" to santiago. You just need to plan your route. You can sleep for free in the "albergues" so it is a very cheap holidays. Just do some research before on internet about what should do the way. Take a cheap flight to Santiago de compostela and there by bus go to your starting point. If you just want to do the 100 kms in 4 or 5 days you will probably start some place near by Lugo
Later on you can take 2 or 3 days off if you want to visit some places arround like "la coruna" and also "las rias baixas" beatifull locations. I think that is a really worthy trip. Cheap and you will find out a complete different spain from the typical one maybe you are use to it.
A green spain plenty of history, nice places, incredible food. You will meet lot of peole during the way and I am sure that you will get an amazing time.
Just try it !!

My friend recently did this trip and sailed to Spain and back on the Jenie Johnston as part of the pilgrimage. AMAZING reports, I cannt stress enough how much she and her party enjoyed it - so much so she is returning for a 3 day break at the end of August. It is more spiritual than religious, everyone gpt something intensely personal from the walk and entire experience. Firm recommendation to go!

My parents (64 years of age) drove it 2 years ago and loved every minute of it. They said it was a wonderful experience. A Spanish friend of mine cycled it last year and he just wouldnt shut up about how good it was!

Thank you all for the info on this, I've been able to get in contact with some people who will be able to give me some more good pointers on this.
I'm reasonably determined to do it in the next couple of weeks so we'll see what happens!

You won't regret it, as it is a brilliant experience and you will pass through some beautiful parts of the country.

If you can though, take a few more days and start further back. The route gets increasingly busy as you approach Santiago, so it would be nice to get a few days to experience the quieter side of the camino....at times there is little to indicate that this is the 21st century.

Northern Spain - Camino de Santiago

I'm looking at doing the Camino de Santiago Compstella in Northern Spain next summer, just wondering if anyone here had done this walk and what was their experience of it.. e.g. preparation, distance, accommodation, number of bags, safety aspect, many thanks.

I have not done the Camino but my wife did 100km over 4/5 days 3 years ago.She will also do a100km on 17th.August this year. She is travelling with a small walking group.They intend to do the section to Finistere which will bring them to the coast. They will stay in refugios. Last time they stayed in hotels. They also got their luggage sent by taxi to the place where they finished walking each day.

Just an update on a thread I started a few years ago. I recently did 120K of the camino had had the time of my life! I didn't rough it like many do, but went with 20 friends from work. It was an absolutely wonderful experience

Just an update on a thread I started a few years ago. I recently did 120K of the camino had had the time of my life! I didn't rough it like many do, but went with 20 friends from work. It was an absolutely wonderful experience

What months did you go? Any particular part of the route that you would recommend/avoid?

There is an excellent Dublin based company who are solely devoted to the Camino & although most of their clients come from outside Ireland they have vast experience & knowledge of the walks. Their site www.followthecamino.com has a vast amount of info. on routes & travel arrangements.