Sandyford Road Infrastructural Scheme Info

miselemeas

Information Leaflet just received from Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown advising of major infrastructural works on Sandyford Road between the junction of Wyckham Way to just beyond Blackthorn Drive. Plans include cycle path, bus lane, resurfacing, broadband ducting, improved footpaths and pedestrian crossings, new watermains and drainage system .....

Estimated start date 26 September
Approx 12 month programme
Monday to Friday 0800 to 1800 (except Bank Holidays)

"These infrastructural works are necessary and will involve the excavation of the road and footpath surfaces... traffic lanes will be reduced to one lane at times. A one way system will be in operation southbound from Dundrum. A diversion will be in place via Drummartin Link Road. Local access will maintained at all times" (very kind! :()

Information line 086 820 6167

A whole year (at least!) to upgrade a mile of road, and they can't even keep it open for traffic. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown are just so incompetent, and don't give a damn about the people who use the roads.

Closing one of the major commuter routes from 8am to 6pm - these guys are having a laugh at us! And at the same time the Luas construction is causing traffic chaos on the proposed diversion route, with closed lanes at the Leopardstown Road / Brewery Road roundabout, extra traffic on this road and on Drumartin Link Road / Beacon Court junction because they have closed the Glenamuck Road over the old railway line. Easy to know the county management live in the Dun Laoghaire / Dalkey side of the county.

But I'm not at all surprised. Take for example the bus lane on the Wyckham bypass - announced less than 6 months after the road opened, and requiring an extension to the bridge to accommodate the bus lanes, not to mention digging up the road for a year (though at least they kept it open!) Take for example the bus lane on Enniskerry Road that no buses will run on. Take for example the bus lane on Blackthorn Drive into Sandyford Industrial Estate that was never opened as a bus lane and is now gone.

These guys are muppets!

Just noticed this post again. The road is still one way.
It had been opened for a few weeks, and then I find on the way home yesterday it was back to one way, and extremely badly signposted. What a******s!

Sandyford Road (Balally Hill to Clonard Estate)
Sandyford Road will revert to one-way traffic, (northbound), between Clonard Road junction and Balally Hill junction from Monday 2nd February 2009 to Monday 2nd March 2009 to allow the contractor to install the final section of the surface water drainage. Sandyford Road will reopen to two-way traffic following completion of these works.

Last edited:
It had been opened for a few weeks, and then I find on the way home yesterday it was back to one way, and extremely badly signposted. What a******s!

I got caught there myself during the week. There is no advanced notice of a diversion or road closed. Means having to do a u turn right back down the way you came. What are you playing at Rathdown? It's a joke

I got caught there myself during the week. There is no advanced notice of a diversion or road closed. Means having to do a u turn right back down the way you came. What are you playing at Rathdown? It's a joke

The gombeens in DLRCC are at it again!

DLRCC are taking a year to build the new link road along the Luas line from the "Stillorgan" Luas car park (near former Atlantic Homecare corner) to Drummartin Link Road. (Don't get me started on why they are building this road so soon after the Drummartin Link Road itself, or why they have permission for the Beacon Hotel right on top of the junction which has crippled access to the estate, or how Castlethorn paid for the initial study for this road - to get customers to the new Dundrum shopping centre.)

While 95% of this work is off the public road and should not interfere with traffic, they have reduced the width of the Drummartin Link Road where the new road joins, which slows all southbound traffic on this road, and causes traffic build up back nearly as far as the Goat in the evenings.

As usual DLRCC don't think about the fact that they're doing this while at the same time closing the parallel Sandyford Road outbound.

Surely if they'd any cop-on they could provide access to the site from the Sandyford Industrial Estate end and do the Drummartin Link Road end when the Sandyford Road end is complete.

And of course all the councillors will tell us how they will look into it when they come knocking in a couple of months time, but it's just more concil imcompetence.

Back