"Sanding" stone tiles?

alert

Hi guys,

A few years ago I laid stone tiles onto my kitchen floor, I then proceeded to make a complete mess of the grouting, (first time!), now, the grout has sank between the tiles and I intend re-grouting.

To make matters worse, in addition to the grout sinking I also left "smears" of grout on the tiles, I would now like to rectify this, I have chemical corrosive, (Teragon) and a "wet" vacuam cleaner, however I am starting to wonder if sandpaper would be a good option or if not what options are available to me? eg abrasive "wheel" of small angle-grinder? Or is there an equivalent stone sander similar to that used on wooden floors?

Thank you.

Don't go at it with an angle grinder anyway! Best off to use a proprietary tile or brick cleaner, these are acid based and will help to remove cement based grout. Be sure to wear appropriate safety gear (eye protection and rubber gloves are a must). Follow the instructions to the letter- these products are very corrosive and must be used with care. As always test on an inconspicuous area first.

I'd second what Carpenter says above, along with a stiff bristled brush and plenty of elbow grease. I'd also suggest that the acid might not do a wet vac much good!

Before you re-grout, seal the tiles with a good quality sealant, and clean as you grout.
Leo

Back