sanding old boards and insulating suspended floor.

backfromoz

My 150 year old house has a suspended wooden floor.Weve just pulled up the carpets and as expected the wind is whistling up through the boards. Under the floor boards is just lots of rubble.Im planning to insulate between the joists (cant decide between rock wool or sheeps wool).
THere are 5 rooms 4ft6 by 4ft6 each room. Ive been given a quote for
-pulling up the boards
-laying netting under joists and laying insulation
-covering with plywood and relaying old wooden floor
-sanding and varnishing floors
Theyve quoted 7000 excluding materials. As its my forst quote not sure if this is good? they say it will take 5 weeks I cant believe it will take this long. Does anyone have any ideas if this is a good price

No way this needs to take 5 weeks - should be able to do it in 1 week with 2-3 lads.

Based on that labour should be max € 3000 leaving € 4000 for plywood, insulation netting etc. i think you can do considerably better, especially in the current climate.

One tip on the insulating. You must ensure that the insulation is a good fit between the joists and that it sits just a little above the joists when fitted ( say 1/4 to 1/2 inch ) If there is a gap between the insulation and the joists or between the insualtion and the plywood then you will lose almost all the value of the insulation.
Good Luck!

Are you sure that the rooms are only 4ft6 x 4ft6? These seem very small. You should also clear out the rubbish, lay a sheet of visqueen to 1ft extra all around if the undersoil is very damp. Paint some waterproof adhesive onto the bottom 6" of the all to seal/hold the membrane in place.

I appreciate the advice
Simeon you're right- the rooms are 4.5 metres by 4.5 meters not foot.
Any advice about what type of insultaion would be best? The reason I considered sheeps wool is that it can absorb moisture and in an old damp house seems like a good idea and of course its greener than others.
Whats the benefit of the membrane? Is the membrane you mentioned breathable, if not I'd be worried that the damp will be pushed towards the walls?

No, the membrane is a damp proof membrane. You are merely keeping the moisture in the soil ....... no need to worry about pushing it towards the walls - at least not in our lifetime.