Sanded floor - filled poorly

MAJJ

Hi Folks,

I have just had my 30 year old floor boards sanded. The job was well done and the gap between the boards (the tounge and groove bit) was filled using saw dust/wood glue. However, the gaps weren't properly cleared out before being filled as I can see lots of black pieces of carpet underlay. This makes an otherwise good job look unsightly.

He hasn't asked for his money yet and has done a similair job to a higher standard before although I suspect he outsourced this one to a junior!

I would like the job repaired and if so would be happy to pay the agreed sum. Can anyone ,in the know, advise how difficult it would be to remedy the situation given that the glue has set and the surrounding boards are sanded, laquered and finished perfectly?

Call me fusy but this is in the living room and a lot of investment is going in and this isn't up to standard.

Thanks,
MAJJ

If the job is done by a contractor - make a written contract.
First the odd stuff has to be removed with a router and (for the corners) a drill with a flexible axis and a router bit atached to it. You need goggles, mask and gloves as well as several bits/heads for the router, hidden nailing is the enemy.
When the grouts are clean-use a hoover- refill them with an apropiate filler, mind the shrinkage rate (label!). Take care that the boards are fixed well, if they move when walking on them the stuff might fall out again. The alternative would be rope (sisal, jute, hemp, coir) soaked in glue. Or lacquer to influence the final colour, black or green might give an interesting contrast. This rope would be forced into the groute similar to ship planks sealing with the aid of a chissel. When dry sand it over and fill the remaining gaps.
Calculate an hour for about 4-5 meters of groute for the entire job-removing, filling, sanding, finish.
Wear a good mask, one never knows with old timber how it was treated, DDT was a common timber treatment 30 years ago.

Hi heinbloed,

Thanks for the response. The contractor has not been paid yet and has agreed to remedy the situation. I was just trying to independently guage the level of difficulty involved so I could argue my case with knowledge on my side and know I can.

Thanks for your help,
MAJJ