Sand in Digital Camera

Megan

My niece got a sony digital camera as a present for her 21st a year ago. It cost €400.00. It gave up on her and she brought it back to the shop. They sent it back to sony and they said that there is sand in it and that it would cost €400.00 to fix it. Could this be right. any help would be appreciated.

What does your niece say about the sand?

It's certainly not worth paying €400 to get it repaired — the same camera (or an improved model) probably costs <€300 today...

What does your niece say about the sand?

It's certainly not worth paying €400 to get it repaired — the same camera (or an improved model) probably costs <€300 today...
She did use the camera on the beech hence the sand. i would agree if it was going to cost €400 to fix it she would be better to buy a new one.
Just though by posting here some bright spark might have some ideas of how to get the sand out.

Megan, do you know what model it is exactly? Then I could at least tell you how much a replacement would cost...

Secondly, re the sand — there are http://www.amazon.com/Beseler-DustGun-Compressed-OZ-227gm/dp/B00009R69C (products) available that might be worth a try, before writing the camera off altogether (particularly if she knows someone 'handy' enough to dare open the outer casing). Dust, sand etc. used to be pretty much instant death to any electronic device with lots of small, precision moving parts — in traditional film cameras, these would be things like the film advancement mechanism, the shutter, the lens focussing barrel, etc. Digital cameras don't have quite as many of these sensitive areas, but they do still have some (especially if it has a zoom lens that bzzz's out into position when the thing is turned on). What they do have, though, is loads of circuitry and electrical contacts that might are very vulnerable to salt. In fact, that might very well be the problem, rather than the sand.

Tbh, I suspect that the Sony repair guys may be quoting a prohibitive price for the repair in the hope that she/you'll 'go away and buy another', because it's just not worth their (expensive) time trying to track down and eliminate the fault — which could be down to any number of other factors. Once they've found any trace of sand, that's enough to invalidate the warranty on grounds of improper use/negligence, so it's no longer their problem.

In sum, I'd be inclined to have her let a 'techie' friend open it up with a precision screwdriver and try a little bit of air-blasting — with no guarantees, of course! — and then resign herself to buying a new one. They're getting cheaper by the day...