Sand & Cement prices

Pique318

Can anyone give me a rough price per tonne for 'Sharp Sand' (bedding for patio slabs)?

Also, I'm trying to work out the amount of cement needed to cover a (soon to be) former grass area. 10 sq metres approx. Foot traffic only. Is sharp sand recommended for bedding this also, or is gravel sufficient ?

How much is readymix cement ? And what does (for example) 10 sq metres @ (say) 100mm deep (ie, 1 cubic metre) equate to in weight when ordering, or do you order by volume ?

My figures are may be a bit dated (2004).
Sand was €38 incl VAT & delivery (1 tonne bag).
1 cubic meter of sand is about 1.7tonne.

I don't think you'll be able to get just 1 cubic meter of concrete (about 2.4t) delivered. They only deliver full truck, min 3 cubic meter afaik.

Concrete calculator [broken link removed]

There is a crowd mixing concrete on the spot on demand. They may be able to help, but i would reckon be very pricey. Example [broken link removed]

Concrete is around €80 per sq metre as of Roadstone Limerick. Minimum is 4 sq metres with a supplement of €80 so minimum is €400

Yes you order by volume. For a patio I would suggest you order 40/20mm with a slump of 110. Most places dont understand slump but its basically the amount of plasteciser in it(softness/wetness).

For underneath of patio sharp sand is fine as its only foot traffic. Also make sure you put at least 250mm of 804 mix. Its a mix of sand and 10-20mm chip. Your going to have to find a way of levelling it. You may need to hire a vibrating plate machine for that.

Im not a builder but a former civil engineer so Im not experienced in laying things only confident in the material you need.

Back