samsung 32" lcd tv not working

S

sammy36

I bought a samsung 32 inch lcd tv under two years ago and paid 750 euro for it and now it wont power on.As I have it over a year the shop told me they can do nothing as the warranty is up. I rang samsung customer care and if I was there until doomsday they would not answer the phone.

So I decided to look around the internet to see if anyone else has the same problem and its seems to be a big fault with their lcds especially in the USA where their is lawsuits being taken against them even though samsung are denying the fault. Now I am not sure of the cost of repair but its absolutely ridiculous that a two year old tv that was hardly used should die that quickly.

Well I wont be buying samsung again and I was also wondering did anyone else have this problem or am I just an unlucky one!

If you can prove evidence of a worldwide fault, I'd consider using the Small Claims Court to take action directly against Samsung Ireland...

Well the problem trying to prove that there is a common fault by what people say in internet forums would be too hard in my opinion.I dont think samsung would give in that easy.Anyway I am going back to the shop tomorrow to see the manager and then i will take it from there.I will just have to listen to the wireless until then

As you may or may not know your 12 month manufactures guarentee is in addition to your statute rights which states that an item must be of mechantable quality and fulfill what is reasonably expected of it.

ASAIK the reasonable "liftetime" of most electrical items is 5 years and to that end the dealer/trader MUST entertain any claim the customer has within that time period. Your claim is with the reseller and not the manufacturer.

Don't be fobbed off, stand your ground but always be polite and stay calm.

Thanks for the advice and i will try and sort it with the seller first and as you say Sparkrite the lifetime of a tv is surely longer than two years. But trying to stay calm and polite might be another story!

Well I went back to the shop again and they still refused to repair the tv for free as the warranty was up even though I told them that this problem was very common with samsung lcds.I rang Samsung again and eventually got through and once I told them the problem they said I was entitled to a free of charge repair.Now why the shop could not tell me this I dont know as they are a Samsung dealer.Anyway a good outcome but the whole thing could have been handled better and dont hand over the money without putting up a battle first if you feel you have a case.

For info on statute rights which states that an item must be of mechantable quality

[broken link removed]