Saloon / coupe Diesel Car Mercedes CLK 220

• Thread starter utopianmule
  • Start date
U

utopianmule

Hi People,

Any thoughts on the Mercedes CLK 220. Looking at purchasing one in year range 02-06, Current car doing 1500 miles per month and want something a little more comfortable. For myself and other half to share
I ideally like a small diesel car with a boot.. Have looked at Audi a3 but Audi I think you pay for the badge and no boot room

Any advice welcome

I think you'll pay for the badge with the Merc too. It's by no means a small diesel car with a boot. It's a big car with hardly any boot at all and in no way comparable with the Audi A3.

Mercedes can be somewhat reasonable. Love the CLK, if possible I'd go for an 06 facelifted one. What I like about the CLK is that it is a PROPER 4 seater, not a two seater with two infant seats to the rear of them. The 220 is fantastic fuel consumption wise and the interior is leather 99% of the time which is a plus in my opinion. Prefer the coupe to the convertible myself. . . And if you buy a preowned one it seems that CLK's seem to always hold some value. I often see 8 and 9 year old ones asking well in excess of 10k, which is good.

Also, have a look in the UK. They can be found at good prices and VRT is reasonable due to quite low Co2 emissions. I myself go to autotrader and cargiant just to name a few. Autotrader requires a post code, I use e98 1nw (I think its in London?)

Hope some of that helped!

Aidan23gd said:
They can be found at good prices and VRT is reasonable due to quite low Co2 emissions.

In fairness, Merc match up poorly against BMW diesels on emissions (CLK220 VRT 24% vs 320 VRT 16%), and fuel consumption, but have cheaper base prices.

In relation to leather, a desirable option yes, but an option that will cost you.

thanks for the tips, the vrt on 06 clk 220 is 9 grand so a bit pricey for that, however they are much cheaper in UK as they start 18 grand cheaper for the car from new.
i think the clk is way to go. its a car we will keep for 3/4 years and get good use out of. also prices are negoitable now so should expect to get 10% plus off for a cash deal. Will sell current car privately no prob as it owes us nothing and am not greedy looking for big price for it.

In fairness, Merc match up poorly against BMW diesels on emissions (CLK220 VRT 24% vs 320 VRT 16%), and fuel consumption, but have cheaper base prices.

In relation to leather, a desirable option yes, but an option that will cost you.

I agree with you. Would still prefer an 03-06 CLK to an 03-06 320. They're not really in the same class. . 3-series is comparable to the C class, CLK is more like an E class coupe. In general I see CLK coupes for the same money as 3 series and I know I'd take the CLK - that's just me :p

Back