Sales Tax on selling a product to a US Company?

TTI

Hi,

Can anyone advise me whether VAT, etc. is chargeable on an order to a US company from a Irish Ltd company?

In a word yes but at zero per cent. Sales (called supplies in the vat world) outside of the European Union are zero rated. Ensure that you retain proof of dispatch of goods to the US to prove the zero rate.

Difference between exempt and zero is that you can reclaim vat on costs related to zero rated supplies where exempt you can't. In the latter case VAT is a cost

Many thanks, that gave me enough to search further:

Thank you kindly for your response, and very interesting to be aware of but I read this at the top of the page:

So in this case it wouldn't apply to me as I am setting up a Ltd company in Ireland.

Thank you kindly for your response, and very interesting to be aware of but I read this at the top of the page:

So in this case it wouldn't apply to me as I am setting up a Ltd company in Ireland.

I didn't mean the special scheme; I meant that you may not in fact be providing "goods" for VAT purposes, but rather "services", and there may be differences in how VAT is to be accounted for.

It's just something you need to be aware of, what the technical definition of what you're selling is, and how you need to account for it.