sale of business

mirmick

Can someone please give me general advice on this issue.

I have sold a small business for 250K. I didnt sell the sahres and kept the company and sold the business. It was a cash business, so no debtors involved. I will pay the creditors outstanding at the date of sale of business which is also the year end of my company(31/10/2008). Now how I will account for this transaction. Net booke value of good will and other fixed assets at 30 October 2008 was 160K.Also the stock I sold was around 6K. Can I offset 160K from 250K against my fixed assets and 6k against my stock? What will I do with the rest? How much will be the profit for capital gains purpose? Company also owes a loan of amount 120K to bank.What would be the double entry for this transaction?

I will contact my tax advisor next week but I would appreciate any comments if any one got experience regardignt this.

You would normally be looking for tax advice before you sell a business not after
basically the company will be paying cgt on the difference between the value of the assets in the company sold and the sales proceeds
You will have a tax written down value for the fixed assets and goodwill will basically be the remainder of the proceeds,it will be taxable in full at 20% if you built up this GW from scratch otherwise you can offset what you paid for GW
The cash coming into the company will be used to pay of creditors and the loan

You will personally then incurr a CGT charge if after this there is any money left in the company which you need to extract