Salary received by accident

Z

zoe25

Im hoping someone can help me....
In August I was changing jobs and I was offered two jobs lets call them Company A and Company B, I took the job with Company A.
I did not sign a contract for Company B, I just completed an application form with all my details.
A month later when i had started my new job i received a salary from Company B- I contacted them immediately (that day) to let them know i had received a salary. I received no response for 5 weeks, then i was given an account number to transfer the money into, this was incorrect.
I was given another account number again it was incorrect.
I then sent a cheque which has subsequently been lost (You couldnt make this up i know)
At this stage I am really sick of it-the onus should not be on me to go out of my way to return the money!
They arent really chasing the money- ive received the odd email here and there, Where do i stand in relation to returning the money?

hi zoe to be honest im not sure where you stand on this, what i would do now is keep a copy of all your dates and details of all the times youve tried to return the money, email them and ask them to pick up money. you have tried your best after that if it fails. ps. if they still dont take money maybe we could all go out on the beer on you lol. best of luck in your new job.

Personally, after what you have detailed I would write to them stating that they could collect a cheque for the salary amount from me and to make an appointment to do so.

I agree with other posters, make sure you keep evidence of your attempts to return the money. Also ensure that you place a stop on the lost cheque. I would say the ball is in their court now, they should make the effort!

Thats very strange - you say you never worked for Comapny B ? God, I wish I could get a job with a company who pays me not to work !!!

You've made 4 attempts to return the money. I would send one last email stating the attempts you have made & could they arrange to collect the money off you (at a time that suits you) within the next x days. Clearly state that this is the last time you are following up to return their money.

it might be worth checking with revenue that company B haven't already registered you as working for them.
this might only come to light at the end of the tax year.

(this is assuming company B had your PPS number)

Thanks Woodbine I actually called the Revenue to check that out and they had registered me for tax, so I have rectified that.

I know Sam it is ridiculous-and what makes it worse is that the company in question is a well known bank..scary that they are in charge of people's money.

Thanks for all advice I think the ball is their court now.

Thanks Woodbine I actually called the Revenue to check that out and they had registered me for tax, so I have rectified that.

I know Sam it is ridiculous-and what makes it worse is that the company in question is a well known bank..scary that they are in charge of people's money.

Thanks for all advice I think the ball is their court now.

And the rest of the country has to pay if they go belly up!

Back