Safest way of bringing money abroad?

blueshoes

Just wondering whats the best way to bring money on holidays? I usually bring all cash and then take out a bit for each day and leave it in a safety box. Seems theres more and more people's stuff been robbed, im kinda worried.

can anybody tell me if you can use a laser card abroad? also can you it to withdraw money?

Almost anything would be better than carrying wads of cash away even if you use the safety deposit box once you get there! You cannot use Laser which is specific to Ireland but your Laser card may include one or more of Cirrus/Plus+/Maestro which will allow you to withdraw cash abroad (for a fee - check the charges). Another option is to use your credit card for purchases and/or cash advances (usually pricey) or cash withdrawals (from an account loaded with cash before travelling or while away) but check the terms & conditions of the card to check the charges in all cases and to see if there are any caveats over preloading and doing cash withdrawals (e.g. some card providers may not refund cash balances nicked if the card is lost/stolen).

cheers for that clubman. I think my blueshoes laser card has that cirrus thing on it. I thought that was only for uk!! So will just bring that and stick some money on the credit card. friend of mine whose on holiday at the moment had her purse stolen with all her cash and cards in it so im just getting myself prepared. thanks again

I have done a bit of travelling and always use the credit card and online banking to monitor my balance. I think also that if your credit card account is in credit (i.e. stick a few quid on the card before you leave) then you dont get charged bank fees for withdrawing the money from an atm.

I think also that if your credit card account is in credit (i.e. stick a few quid on the card before you leave) then you dont get charged bank fees for withdrawing the money from an atm.
Depends on the card's terms & conditions/charging structure.

I used my Laser card which also has Cirrus/Maestro capapbility in Egypt recently; no problems. I had more problems trying to withdraw using my MasterCard. I know for a fact that without Cirrus/Maestro the Laser card would not work.

Exactly - it's not Laser that works abroad, it's Cirrus or Maestro or Plus etc.

Back