safe file sharing sites?

messedaround

Is there such a thing ?? ive downloaded both limewire and morpheus and had to uninstall both as the laptop started running really slowly after ? any one recommend a better one ?? also tried bearshare same thing
thanks L

Re: safe file sharing sites ??

The laptop started running slowly or your internet connection started running slowly?

Is your laptop an old laptop which cannot handle "modern" software very well?

More info needed before I can point you in the right direction.

Is there such a thing ?? ive downloaded both limewire and morpheus and had to uninstall both as the laptop started running really slowly after ? any one recommend a better one ?? also tried bearshare same thing
thanks L
hmm sounds like Hotdogfolks's explaination is to the point.
But limewire and all those do have all this activex, java stuff running in the background so that wouldnt help. just try eMule that's the best, then there's winmx that's really good too.

the laptop is only around a year old ,ill try the suggested sites and see what happens ,many thx

Messedaround, it kind of sounds like you don't really know what you're doing here (no offence.)

I would not recommend using file sharing software if you're a computer newbie. I know plenty of people who've ended up downloading dodgy stuff and screwing up their copy of Windows (read: had to reinstall Windows.)

Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date, and do regular scans for spyware.

Also, I know I don't need to tell you this, but uploading copyright material is illegal in Ireland (I believe downloading copyright material is legal), so be careful. You can turn off sharing (i.e. uploading) and only allow downloading.

HotdogsFolks is right, uploading copyrighted material is illegal.

But if you are going to go down this road do it properly.

First of all get a good spyware and anti virus remover to undo the damage you've already done.

Most of these programs contain malware and spyware that slow your machine and compromise your machines security. You need to address that issue first.

Then know that the progs mentioned, Morpheus, limewire and others like Kazaa are infected with this spyware and malware and they screw up your machine.

Winmx is old (near dead) but it's the best of a bad bunch, imo, it's good if you are looking for individual songs.

Bit Torrent is undoubtedly best at the moment for sharing, download a client like Azureus, then go to websites like mininova.org and download the torrents from there, open the torrent in Azureus and it will download the file from there. Torrents work best with full albums and movies, it's not great for singles.

Beware about downloading software, they are usually carriers for Trojans and Viruses (or Virii if you want to be pedantic). As a rule of thumb don't download any file that is an exe, zip or rar.

As a rule of thumb don't download any file that is an exe, zip or rar.
Zip and rar files are surely just a compressed version of the original files which could contain any file type including harmless types( JPG, etc)....or am I missing something??

Using a sandbox such as Sandboxie can help maintain security when accessing sites/sources that may not be 100% trustworthy. Gizmo Richards' article [broken link removed] is also pertinent.

You are correct in one point, zip's and rar's are compressed files......but you don't know what is inside them until you extract them and you are relying solely on some unknown's naming conventions*, so as a rule of thumb it is best to play it safe and do not download these files.