Saab Warranty - worldwide (excludes Ireland?)

rogeroleary

Sorry about this, I posted this originaly in Consumer Rights forum but realise this might be a better fourm.

I bought a Saab from a main dealer in the UK two years ago - it was a demo model. Before travelling to purchase I got a number of issues clafied in writing from the Sales Manager of the dealer. This included the fact that there was a 3 year worldwide garauntee which "which would apply in Ireland".

About 4 weeks ago I had a problem with the car losing power. I was told by the company that bring SAABs into Ireland that the "worldwide garauntee doesn't apply to Ireland". Just to get it sorted I brought the car to a main dealer in Northern Ireland who told me a valve was the problem but as these were on back order and they could refurbish the part which the did and I was happy with the result.

A few days ago disaster struck - apparently the sameproblem with complete loss of power. I had to leave the car where it broke down, I have now found out that there are "four thousand of these valves on back order and we have no idea when we might get one"

So, I wondering what options are open to me now as SAAB seem to be reneging on the warranty period and incredibly they have 4000 customers who have defective valves with no sign of the back order - seems unbelievable to me?

Roger

Sorry about this, I posted this originaly in Consumer Rights forum but realise this might be a better fourm.

It might be a better forum, but I've seen moderators comments elsewhere that there is a policy against double postings, i.e. posting the same query to two forums.

One or other of your inquiries may be deleted.

That having been said, it sounds as though the other forum is the correct one on the point of law, but this one may prompt comments and perhaps practical advice on resolution from other long-suffering Saab owners.

What model is it?

[so others can form and opinion when buying their next car...]

:)

That's a Fiat multijet engine, which is also used in the Opel Vectra and Alfa 159, so it should be possible to source the part readily from elsewhere.

If its a FIAT, would you want the part...?

<ducks slings and arrows from outraged FIAT owners everywhere...>

Seriously though, I remember the Fiat Chroma / SAAB 9000 collaboration.
Rubbery gearchange, dodgy pickup, foul looks - a dire car.

By the way, I had assumed this was a valve in the engine.
A did Google search on on "9-3 1.9TID valve problems" without the "".

It brought up 1290 hits including a lot of info on an EGR valve including how to deal with it yourself.

http://www.saabscene.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t31642220.html

Refining the search to "9-3 1.9TID valve problems +EGR" without the "".
It still yielded 347 hits which suggest this is a known problem.
Is this is your problem valve?

If it is, the below post from 2007 appears to suggest that one reason for the valve's back order problems is that SAAB may not be producing a new improved valve, just fitting the old dodgy one.

http://www.saabnet.com/aas/2007.W23/1030720016.3821.html

The EGR valve is a big problem on these units and applies to the Alfa/FIAT/Opel cars who run with this engine aswell. You might get one from those dealers but this still doesn't solve your warranty issue.

I have heard on other sites that the valves can be cleaned out and it might get you up & running for a while. Have you got a price for a new one?

Update...... eventually got a new valve through a main dealer in Dublin :D

Downside is as follows:
  • I was 2 weeks without my car :mad: - definitely not fun!
  • The UK main dealer never responded to my calls / emails
  • Saab UK called me several times to establish if the dealer had resolved the matter to my satisfaction - when I told them they hadn't been in touch they said "that is unacceptable and we will get onto them again"
  • The cost of the new valve (including labour) was €350
  • I also had to get the car towed across Dublin to the garage
So, seriously ****ed off I've decided that I want to take legal action against the main dealer I purchased from.

Any suggestions about the best route to go with this in the UK? or what the likely costs of taking a case against the dealer would be? Or suggestions for a solicitor around the Manchester area?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

Still doesn't explain when Ireland was removed from worldwide.

WTF is the story on that?

Anything helpful here regarding EU consumer laws about guarantees - [broken link removed]

Still doesn't explain when Ireland was removed from worldwide.

WTF is the story on that?

Well, I came across a UK site where you can post a question and get a professional to answer and the guys who responded said it sounded like a breach of the Misrepresentation Act of 1963 and as a breach of contract I was entitled to return the good and obtain a full refund :D or seek damages.

So, I'm trying to establish what the cost / risk is ok taking a case against these guys and also to see if anyone recommends a solicitor in the general area.

Roger

The problem you have is well known by saab and affects the 1.9td models from 2004 / 2005.

I had one and it "lived" in fitzpatrick's garage in kildare for 3 weeks at one stage trying to sort out the problem - the service from them was impeccable.

The problem returned on 3 occasions before I traded it in.

The problem you have is well known by saab and affects the 1.9td models from 2004 / 2005.

I had one and it "lived" in fitzpatrick's garage in kildare for 3 weeks at one stage trying to sort out the problem - the service from them was impeccable.

The problem returned on 3 occasions before I traded it in.

Thanks MCAUL - exactly what I needed .... might put an ad in Buy&Sell "wanted fifth floor office window, preferably open":eek:

Back