Saab - Is it Worth it?

InfoSeeker

I have a 1996 car and am thinking of upgrading but don't want to go ballistic in terms of cost.

I would like a 2004 car and my budget would be 15k or so.

I would love to get a Saab but really need to spend 20k to get a 2004 with reasonably low mileage.

Anyone got any ideas for a budget of 15k for a 2004 car?

Don't bother with a SAAB, got the resale of a lead baloon after a few years.

Take your 15k as above poster says and see what's out there.

You can a decent BMW 3/5 or Mercedes C/E for that money, if you're not too fussed about years.

Don't bother with a SAAB, got the resale of a lead baloon after a few years.

Hence op's desire for an '04 saab! OP doesn't say what saab he wants - 93 or 95? 93 competes with bmw 3 series etc while 95 is 5 series, e class. Saabs are cheaper than competitors for the same mileage and year.

I hate generalisations regarding cars which are usually nothing more than regurgitations of the brands marketing strategy, but the 95's do have a reputation for being more trouble than other cars on average. There are websites which show warranty claim statistics etc - have a look at honest John which should point you in the right direction.

Having said that I have a newish 95 and love it! But my top criterion for getting the car is that it's big, heavy and safe to better protect my family.

What does the op want in a new car? Also, what's so wrong with the old one that merits spending a load of dough on a depreciating asset? OP should answer these questions first before deciding which marketing strategy to suck up!

Saab 93 is the car I would be interested in.
I agree that cars are a depreciating asset, this probably explains why my car is a 1996 Nissan Almera when every second car on the road is 2005 and up

However my wife got a new Golf this year and I drive it a lot and there is a huge difference in comfort.

So comfort is one reason for changing, another thing I would be looking for is relability as if I do get a 2004 car then I intend on keeping it for 7-10yrs unless it becomes too costly to maintain. As you said aldark they are a depreciating asset and even if I won 50k today I would not buy a new car, I would use it for other purposes such as improving my home, etc.

My 1996 car is still going fine without costing me money bar the essentials to keep it on the road but I would like to get a newer car.....call me a snob if you want

Hope that explains the change and if you have any more ideas aldark then that would be much appreciated.

Mazda or Avensis for me if you're looking at keeping it long-term and reliability is an issue.