SA win the series in 2 games

gianni

Bit of a pity that it's been won in game 2. Poor old O'Gara had a terrible game... came on for last 20 mins and was culpable for the SA try and gave away the last second penalty to give the series win to the Boks.

I agree about O'Gara; he had a poor tour and then lost the series for the team.
I hope he gets his act together for Ireland as Johnny Sexton is now breathing down his neck (O'Gara has the experience but Sexton has a great boot and is so much better in defence).

I agree about O'Gara; he had a poor tour and then lost the series for the team.

Bit harsh there Purple. I missed tackle and a penalty can't be the sole reason they lost the tour.

I agree with Sexton, he wil be the Irish 10, this season has really seen him come on. Played well in the States too.

Bit harsh there Purple. I missed tackle and a penalty can't be the sole reason they lost the tour.
He was weak as captain in the midweek game and it was his missed tackle that gave SA the try and his stupid foul that gave them the winning penalty. He has been a great player for club and country but he has been very inconsistent and hasn't had a good season for Ireland for two or three years.

I was roaring at the video ref for awarding the SA try. It was nearly identical to the one Horgan scored against England. Needless to say Horgan's was perfectly legit while the Bok foot was miles in touch...

Ah, the joys of being a biased supporter!

Horgans one was in touch, the SA one was not. Good Ref.

I agree with all this, however, we can't categorically say that he lost the series for the Lions. We also lost the first test.

It was disappointing but a great contest to watch.

To blame one player for the lose of the series is nonsense. Far too many variables to pin point it to one moment. There was still a lot of work to do to score the try after the missed tackle. O Gara can't be blamed for last weeks preformance. He made mistakes but plenty of mistakes had been made by the Lions. These mistakes combined, lost them the series over the two games.

You need to look at it again. It was a perfectly legit try. The bok foot that was miles in touch was not the try scorer's foot. Great game. We Irish have got to have sympathy for Ronan O'Gara.

He lost the game, that lost the series. It might have been different but it wasn't.

Was it Damien Duff's fault thet Newcastle got relagated? He scored the OG that lost them the game that saw them go down?

It is sometimes far too easy to point the finger at one player in a team sport. The collective team must take responsibility for losing and winning.

Was it Damien Duff's fault thet Newcastle got relagated? He scored the OG that lost them the game that saw them go down?
Not the same as a three game series now is it?

It is sometimes far too easy to point the finger at one player in a team sport. The collective team must take responsibility for losing and winning.
His team were winning 'till he missed a tackle and were drawing 'till he fouled. That lost the game and therefore the series.

O'Gara has been a great servant of Munster and Irish rugby. Nobody will be harder on him than himself. On his day he has won more than one match but as a Lion his place kicking was nowhere near his usual standard and his defensive play (never a strong point) was brutal.
I felt, and still feel, very sorry for him but the fact remains that two key screw-ups by him cost his team the game. They may well have gone on to lose the last game anyway but that's a moot point at this stage.

He lost the game, that lost the series. It might have been different but it wasn't.

His mistakes resulted in SA taking advantage and scoring 10 points. Lions lost 28-25, so there were others that were culpable for a further 18 points.He didn't play at all in the first test that was also lost.
It makes absolutley no sense to blame the man for losing the series.

the Damien Duff analogy is quite apt as had Newcastle won that one game they would have stayed up.

Purple, I will dissect your last backtracking post tomorrow. Your usual brilliant rationale has come through finally. Chateauneauf prevents my sensible post tonight. 'Til the morrow sir!

Chateauneauf prevents my sensible post tonight.
Is there a better reason?

In fairness to O’Gara he was injured within minutes of entering the game on Saturday.
He is still bleeding internally from the back of his eye, I hope he’s OK.

O'Gara's defence is pretty poor at number 10..having him on as a centre just opened things up for the Boks. The last penalty was unfogiveable though..he should have passed it out to Tommy Bowe

Nobody knows what went through his mind, he has done the right thinbg on enough occassions to win to warrant a little bit of perspective here. To say it was unforgiveable is way off the mark.

If it had been a player from another country who had commited the errors that ROG did, would we Irish have been so forgiving ?

The series was lost over 160 minutes and a myriad of incidents. To narrow it down to 2 incidents and one individual is to betray a tabloid level of understanding of sport.