Ryder Cup tickets policy regarding babies

Ceist Beag

I don't know if people will agree with me here but I was astounded so I need to blow of steam somewhere! I recently got 4 tickets for one of the practice days for the Ryder Cup (for myself, my wife and two friends). I thought as it was a practice day we could bring along our baby daughter (she will be just turned 1 year by then) as I didn't see any conditions against this. However, just to be on the safe side I thought I'll email them just to see if they have any policy against bringing babies to a golf tournament (on a practice day), as I thought the only likely problem they might have would be having a baby cry when someone is hitting their shot.
Boy was I wrong! It turns out they don't mind if ye bring a baby at all ... but they expect ye to pay for a ticket for them (and we had already used our full allocation of 4 tickets)!! I did point out she would be only turned 1 at the time. I can't believe this ... why on earth would ye have to pay the same for a baby as ye would for a teenager - it's not like she would be there to watch the golf! The only reason we would bring her would be to save the hassle of finding someone to mind her on a Wednesday and we thought the day out would be good for her.
I sent a reponse back to them letting them know my thoughts but just thought I'd share this with ye all to see if I'm being unreasonable.

"and now we have Lily on, from Clontarf...Lily what's this you're telling our researcher about the Ryder Cup?......"

I can hear it now!

I agree that it is stupid to charge admittance for an infant.

But, then again, this is golf and the Ryder Cup, so what is reasonable or unreasonable in the real world has no relevance on Planet K Club.

To pay admittance for an infant is .. :rolleyes:

not a golfer but i would have thought an event such as this would be children free zones - i mean it's serious stuff and what would you do if the baby starts howling? - it could put a player off their shot.
I agree the ticket should have had the basic terms and conditions on them though.

not a golfer but i would have thought an event such as this would be children free zones - i mean it's serious stuff and what would you do if the baby starts howling? - it could put a player off their shot.

I agree with this, Ive been to a few tourneys, its serious stuff indeed, its not like the childs 2 or upwards and understands a little shh command, if the baby is going to cry, its going to cry.

That aside, i dont think they should charge either, but they charge adults in to a lot of kids events, when its obvious its just the kids who would be going to such events.

note: Ive 2 at home aged 1 and 2.

car said:
I agree with this, Ive been to a few tourneys, its serious stuff indeed, its not like the childs 2 or upwards and understands a little shh command, if the baby is going to cry, its going to cry.

That aside, i dont think they should charge either, but they charge adults in to a lot of kids events, when its obvious its just the kids who would be going to such events.

note: Ive 2 at home aged 1 and 2.

eh no its not serious stuff its grown men hitting balls around a piece of grass. its sport, its not life and death.

But given the money side of things in this sport i can see why the organisers are looking for money for a baby.

if there were more players like happy gilmore i might watch this sport;)

Ron Burgundy said:
eh no its not serious stuff its grown men hitting balls around a piece of grass. its sport, its not life and death.

But given the money side of things in this sport i can see why the organisers are looking for money for a baby.

if there were more players like happy gilmore i might watch this sport;)

Of course it is serious stuff...Pro golfers have devoted their life to their sport and the fact you point out "grown men" hitting balls around makes little of it....

Ron Burgundy said:
eh no its not serious stuff ..

Me too - if SKY weren't interested, this event would die on it's ar$e.

"And all of Europe holds it breath while Colin Montgomerie tries to get his birdie on the 6th."

"In Slovenia, a goatherd hold a transistor radio to his ear, silently willing Jim Furyk to fluff this putt for par".

Yeah, right :rolleyes:

That AIB ad makes me laugh.

They may be trying to discourage people from bringing babies but stopping short of banning them in case it looks bad or something.

Yeah but I would have understood if they said "No sorry, no babies allowed" - this was why I asked in the first place!

I play a "little golf", really only do it to dig holes out of the fair ways !!! and mentally disturb the toffs. .... he he :D
as some golf clubs say, "No women golfers" no Babies, and no talking..... come on you guys did you not read up on golf etiquette :D:D

Back