Ryanair Refunding Airport Tax

kkelliher

I recently booked a flight to the UK with Ryanair for two people total €150 of which €100 was taxes.

I had to cancel due to the death of a work colleague and applied to Ryanair for a refund of the Tax. I am aware that the remainder is non-refundable and I don't have an issue with that.

the t&c on ryanairs site state that the tax is refundable less a "reasonable fee" for administration.

I received an email from Ryanair stating that they are entitled to a "reasonable fee" for administration and that as this was more than the tax I would not receive any refund...

Without wanting to start a Ryanair bashing post which is not my intention as I use them regularly and have never had a problem with them, Does anyone else feel this is crazy or is it just me.

Lots of people will feel it's justified, lots of people will feel it's unjustified.

What are you hoping this thread is going to achieve?

I had the same issue with them KKelliher, there's nothing you can do as their admin charge seems to always exceed the potential refund...no lose situation for Ryanair. Just use the thread to vent a little about Ryanair and hope it makes you feel a little better

Its actually 100 euro taxes and charges ... it's only the taxes bit is refunded which can be as low at 20 euro minus a 20 euro admin fee you get nothing...

If anyone had the notion to test what is considered a 'reasonable fee' in the small claims court i think they might win in the case of Ryanairs idea of it.

Ask them for a statement of what the charge is and what the refund would be.... At least then it would be clear what it is they are charging for processing it. Since they are able to tell you that it is more, they clearly know what they two figures are.
On the taxes and charges thing, is it reasonable given that you don't actually use the airport, that you are charged for the privilege? Do they pass the money onto the DAA before you fly or after? It does seem to be a bit unfair on the person flying how the airport charges are handled. I'd nearly prefer the charges to be split and to pay the part I owe to the DAA for my use of the facilities directly rather than have it lumped in with the charge to the airline for using the airport.