Ryanair pulling out of Brussels (Charleroi)

Daffodil

Just heard on the radio that Ryanair are suspending all their flights from Brussels/Charleroi from November.

Following is from the Newstalk website:

22/08/2007 09:15:49

Ryanair is suspending all flights from its hub at Charleroi near Brussels from November 12. The low fares airline says it's because it wants a guarantee there will be no more wildcat strikes like one which paralysed the airport for two days in June.

Anyone heard about this?

Yes, heard this on TV3 news this morning too. I got a bit of a shock as I booked a flight there this week for October but should hopefully be ok!

RyanAir playing hardball by the sound of it. Pre-emptive strike-breaking. Or maybe forcing Charleroi to guarantee service so they aren't forced to cancel flights (and recompense customers ... am I allowed to shudder???)
Sounds like they don't want to do it (hence suspend) and will reconsider if they can get a favourable answer.

Ryanair can afford to play hard ball as Im sure they have lots of airports banging on their door looking for their business and offering them inducements. If they have to canekl they have to compensate whereas I such they would prefer to be flying.

Bang goes my cheap Xmas flights already booked if they pull out. Here's hoping they are just playing hardball. At least they are still flying in Sept as I have a flight booked for then also. :)

Heard something on the news last night that they lost some legal thing over saying that they were cheaper to get to Brussels. Seems eurotunnel can do it faster and cheaper as they drop you at the centre of the city and you dont have the extra hassle of booking in, flights on time.., collecting luggage, getting bus from airport to city etc...
Could be this is a deciding factor.....

Back