Ryanair plans to offer 'vertical seating'

Re: Ryanairs latest plans

I thought you had to be seated for take-off and landing. Is it another marketing ploy?

Hi, I think it's just publicity seeking, and if it's not, then I dont think the idea will 'take off' anyway. Who wants to travel to Stansted, standing, wouldn't you be in everyone's way? I'd say it's just a joke.

They'd have to introduce assigned seating to do this - otherwise how do you stop someone from nicking your sat down seat so they don't have to stand all the way to Prague! They'd also have to have a price differential on it.

I think he is just getting us ready for a 'pay to sit down' charge.

I thought you had to be seated for take-off and landing. Is it another marketing ploy?

Seemingly some Asian airlines already have them, they are like a high stool where you rest you backside against a padded area and a strap or 'stand belt' fastens across your midriff.

They'd have to introduce assigned seating to do this - otherwise how do you stop someone from nicking your sat down seat so they don't have to stand all the way to Prague! They'd also have to have a price differential on it.

Good point but it seems its only planned for short flights up to 90 mins and they would probably have to stamp your forehead with standing only. One thing for sure the jacks will be full all the time with standers taking the weight off...... unless they charge to use the jacks......... Ahh it seems to be all falling into place now.

Seemingly some Asian airlines already have them, they are like a high stool where you rest you backside against a padded area and a strap or 'stand belt' fastens across your midriff.

There was an airline in asia looking into to it , but nothing ever came of it.

There was an airline in asia looking into to it , but nothing ever came of it.

oops, just read that in the indo online.

Very handy for returning stag/hen party goers. Still p!ssed and lashed to a holding rail (for safety reasons);)

I think the about face High Cost airline is feeling the pinch and is desperate for publicity.

This is pure publicity stunt for a slow-news July Monday morning, but I think they've over-egged it this time... who else finds it a bit sinister that such a loopy and unsafe-sounding proposal be made by a mass aviation company?

On reading it yesterday, I hunted around in vain online trying to find examples of this on the web.

Pushed backwards on takeoff, and down hard and forward on landing, the 'non-paying' standing passenger would be clattering their head off their neighbour or the side of the plane, provided they don't buckle at the knees on landing - I saw it happen once to a member of cabin crew who wasn't seated at touchdown. Imagine the standing area on landing with several passengers having consumed the on-offer bullseye baggies...

Beats me how they can introduce a luas-style bumrest and expect that to conform to air safety regs.... it would be a great threat to use with errant youngsters... 'behave yourself or I'll get the cabin crew to make you swop with that man standing over there'...

'Non-paying' indeed - come off it guys. You don't get something for nothing, tho in this instance the something is literally your entrance fee to the plane and possibly a grab-handle. They'd probably charge a 'standing fee' in addition to the ridiculous online check-in fee - no cabin bags either guys - no room for overhead bins in the standing area, so pay to check your bag (sorry, carry it to the plane and load it yourself), or leave it behind!

Surely it would also have to be approved by every national aviation authority where the planes operate? Imagine the hassle if a country like France said 'no' and banned the flights from their airspace...

I know that the best way to entertain is to play on your weaknesses and defects, but a marketing strategy which is telling passengers that its the 'airline where you cling to the wings' does not for me at least suggest 'no frills - cheaper fares', it suggests 'unacceptably cutting corners in addition to quietly levied charges' and I think its going a bit too far.

I work in the UK, and a few people have commented on it to me. It has received global publicity, it's a big talking point.
The consensus is that "only the Irish could have come up with this", and that it's some kind of "Irish joke"
Of course they mean it in an affectionate way, everybody is aware of the enormous success story that is Ryanair.
Nobody thinks that it could happen for health and safety reasons.
As a publicity stunt, this is absolutely fantastic for Ryanair, it gets them on the front page of a lot of newspapers and websites for free.

The consensus is that "only the Irish could have come up with this", and that it's some kind of "Irish joke"
Of course they mean it in an affectionate way, everybody is aware of the enormous success story that is Ryanair.
Nobody thinks that it could happen for health and safety reasons.

Agreed - but I think here in this country, with the complete dearth of carriers offering direct flights to various destinations (unlike London/Manchester/Birmingham etc)- people do feel a bit more 'at the mercy' of a small number of carriers and this increases the feeling of 'maybe they are seriously thinking about this' - even if they never were.

I know the saying 'no publicity is bad publicity', but IMO, its not great for the confidence of the passenger to think that the company itself are making wisecracks about what would appear to be safety shortcuts.

It was okay when we joked about it ourselves but when the company joins in it seems to increase the sense of just how low will they go, and what else are they softening us up to hear?!!

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
It's with O'Leary in the queue for abysmal priority cattle class on a fully booked flight to Gatwick hoping to catch another flight to Dubai

:)

I dunno - it isn't as far-fetched as some of the ideas he has trotted out over the years. Though why getting more people on who pay no fare can be considered as offering an opportunity to make more money out of them (bullseye bags aside... Oh I get it....).

It's with O'Leary in the queue for abysmal priority cattle class on a fully booked flight to Gatwick hoping to catch another flight to Dubai

Very good!!

Make sure now that you've only one piece of hand luggage and that it fits in the slot provided at the gate... or there'll be no flight to Gatwick for you, sunshine... read the Ts&Cs on the website!

This [broken link removed] mentions Spring Airlines, a Chinese low-cost airline as having had discussions with Airbus about providing "standing-seats". There's a picture of what they might look like, which reminds me of some "wall of death" type thrill ride I was on years ago!

Make sure now that you've only one piece of hand luggage and that it fits in the slot provided at the gate... or there'll be no flight to Gatwick for you, sunshine... read the Ts&Cs on the website!

:D
sunglasses <check>
flipflops <check>
credit card <check>

I'll just have to find some charity to donate everything I buy to in Dubai so I don't have to carry it home!

Back