Ryanair making it difficult for customers to get refunds

I have requested that they extend the expiry date to 5 years.

If they refuse this....who do I complain to? I have never found the CCPC any use....

Afraid not, I read the act and it excluded vouchers issued as a refund.

I'd imagine the CCPC have limited resources, investigating individual complaints is not their role.

Afraid not, I read the act and it excluded vouchers issued as a refund.

I didn't purchase goods I purchased a service. Does this make a difference?

I didn't return anything or cancel anything. Ryanair accepted my voucher in payment for their service. They then cancelled the service, nearly 4 months later.
They were required to refund me within a week of the cancellation of my flight but didn't. They refunded me 6 months later and 3 months after the expiry date of the original gift voucher.

They appear to have arbitrarily chosen a date (next January) for the expiry of their new replacement gift card voucher.

Exceptions to the new rules
The new rules do not apply to:
  • Vouchers that you can only use to buy specified goods and services at a discounted price, from a specified trader on a specified date, or for a specified period of 3 months or less. For example, vouchers from deal websites such as Groupon or Pigsback.
  • Vouchers issued as part of a customer loyalty or promotion scheme.
  • Vouchers issued as a refund for goods you returned to a trader.
  • Vouchers and gift cards sold before 2 December 2019. The expiry period and the terms and conditions that applied at the time of purchase apply to these vouchers.

Sorry if I missed this but it is difficult to follow with the posts being dispersed among different pages:

When was the original gift card purchased?
When did the gift card expire?
When was the gift card used for the flights?
When was the flight that was cancelled?

Last edited:
flights booked for March and cancelled have requested refunds and refused vouchers . A new email a few days ago saying don’t forget about your voucher. Tried rejecting the voucher again but this time it’s not acknowledging the reference number saying it does not match the original number . Tried calling a few times no joy . Anyone any ideas ? 6 months now waiting for a refund

flights booked for March and cancelled have requested refunds and refused vouchers . A new email a few days ago saying don’t forget about your voucher. Tried rejecting the voucher again but this time it’s not acknowledging the reference number saying it does not match the original number . Tried calling a few times no joy . Anyone any ideas ? 6 months now waiting for a refund
You need to get on the chat and wait for a human customer service rep. It may be a long wait but they can sort it out.

Hi Introuble83,
I had flights booked in June and I originally requested a refund on 17 May when the flights were cancelled. I heard nothing more from Ryanair and on 2 Sep after hunting around on the website I found a link to this page https://onlineform.ryanair.com/ie/en/cash-refund and entered my email address and booking reference. I got the following message back indicating that I was now in a queue for a cash refund in lieu of a voucher which I had never requested.

The full amount was refunded to my credit card two weeks later.

Success, thanks to Eeyore. Thank you Eeyore. I had flights booked in May and I originally requested a refund on 27th April via the email they sent me, (when the flights were cancelled), which included a link to apply for a full refund (outward journey to Reus). I did the same for a second booking two weeks later (return journey home from Barcelona). The only email I got afterwards were emails offering vouchers which I ignored. I waited patiently since.
Then Sunday night 20th Sep. after reading your post, I went to the link you kindly gave on your post and applied again for a full refund. Like you, I got the message back indicating that I was now in a queue for a cash refund in lieu of a voucher, which I had never requested.
But to my delight, I got an email on Monday for the Reus flight saying I would be refunded the full amount to my credit card and indeed it arrived in my bank yesterday Wed.
Even though I applied for the Barcelona flight within minutes of the other one, I only got the confirmation email today, Thurs., confirming they would refund me the full cost, so I do expect I'll get that in a few days.
I want to thank you very much Eeyore for your help, or I could be waiting forever.
I also want to flag for others that I got one confirmation email one day after applying, but it took 4 days to get the other Barcelona flight email, so don't despair if email takes a few days.

Those of you that opted to take the Voucher rather than cash from Ryanair.......was there an end date on which the voucher must be used by?

was there an end date on which the voucher must be used by?
My voucher is valid for 12 months from the date of email containing it. Also: If you accept your voucher and do not use it before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund.
Though if it entails going through all the hassle again next year, maybe I'd better ask for the cash now.

Ryanair cancelled my flight on 21st March. I immediately applied for a refund, and had an email to say I would receive the money within 7 working days. I've lost count now, of how many times I have applied again, for that same refund. At least twice since my comment above. Persistence has paid off, and I have now actually received the refund.

Do I hold the record, at 8 months, or are there still hopeful would-have-been-passengers out there waiting for refunds?

Back