Ryanair lost luggage court case

rion

Hi all

I'd appreciate some information regarding the situation I mentioned in my heading. I flew with Ryanair last June with my husband and 3 kids and my sister and her family, we checked in 6 bags and they were weighted etc but when I got to Girona airport one of our bags did not arrive. Staff at the Ryanair desk said they're was a bag took of the flight at Belfast before it departed and said they would get onto Belfast and have the bag sent to us at the campsite within 2 days.

As you can imagine my daughter was crying none stop as she had no clothes and we couldn't get any on the campsite so we had to travel to a nearby towns to look for clothes, we felt them days where wasted. The bag did not arrive on the 3rd day so again gone shopping and phoning to try a find out information about our lost luggage which no one seemed to know about. Till this date the luggage has never shown up.

Anyhow after all the bad communication etc from Ryanair we decide the only way to get noticed was to go to the small claims court, the court date is this Tuesday the 17th, I need to hear from anyone in the no.

Can i claim for extra in the court room or only the amount I put in at the time of opening the small claim , just Ryanair told me they would only deal with things/items I have receipts, I am now going to be out much more with taking time off work, travel and hotel as we live 4 hours from the court room.

Has anyone done a small claim that could give me some advice as I am getting nervous as I've never been to a court before.

I appreciate any views on this matter.

Best regards
Marie

The small claims court can award up to €2000, but airline's liability for lost luggage is less than this under EU law. Have a read of the Citizen's Information guide here. I presume you didn't have travel insurance in place?

What has been their response to the claim so far? Have they disputed the claim? Consented to judgement? I don't believe you can adjust your claim at this point.

Two observations ;

1. Generally, you are restricted to what you plead as your losses.
You could always seek liberty to amend pleadings on the day if you could show good reason - long shot !

2. RYANAIR don't decide what they will or will not deal with receipt wise - the judge does :p
In the real world people do not always have receipts for everything they have lost.

Please tell us what happens.......

Back