Ryanair FX currency conversion query.

BOXtheFOX

Below is a copy of a complaint made on the Dublin Forum of Tripadvisor.com.

"i paid 374 eu for my 3 tix with ryan air (after all charges this was the amount on my receipt.)

@ the time the exchange rate stated that this should have been equal to $580 USD. when i get my credit card bill i was charged 615 USD.

so now i am in the middle of a dispute, as per VISA ryan air has rejected my claim with no kind of documentation and it is now up to me to provide further documentation to support my case.

VISA says that it is ryan air that implemented this conversion rate not VISA. i always thought the Credit Card company to to the conversion.

sorry if this is long and boring, and i know it's only $35 USD but i am mad!!!!!"

Does anyone know if it is Ryanair or the credit card company that do the currency conversion?

A friend of mine had a similar experience. They are based in Ireland with a Euro dominated credit card. Booked a flight from the Uk to Ireland so flight cost was in Sterling. Ryanair did the converesion from STG to EUR which was at a worse rate than credit card cmpany would have charged at the time.

He made a complaint to the European Consumer Centre in Dublin and basically was told that Ryanair are entitled to do this.

Sorry but I don't think you'll get anywhere.

Ryanair are thieving b'stards on this one I'm afraid (as in much else)

I had thought that the rules of the Credit Card currencies dynamic currency conversion schemes were that the customer had to be offered a meaningful choice of being billed in the quoted currency or the total being converted (at a usually unfavourable rate) to their home currency.

Aer Lingus offer this choice. Ryanair do not (and they charge a much heftier conversion fee, on top of their credit card fee)

I have complained to Visa about this in the past and not got very far

I had the same situation-iv'e booked over a hundred flights this year with ryanair from a UK credit card and only just noticed this appalling practice-i reckoned they made 6.55% spread over and above the spot rate on the billing day of my last booking-does anyone know how long they have been doing this? is it just credit cards?