Ryanair Free Seats Sale

S

Slim

Something peculiar just happened when I logged on to Ryanair to price "Free" seats to Manchester from Dublin, departing 13th December. Firstly, mindful of a tip on AAM some time ago, I queried it for 2 people and the price for the 15.30 flight was 19 cent per person before taxes. Quite encouraged, I reset the query for 5 persons, our family size, and lo and behold, the price per person shot up to €14.99 per person! I thought perhaps the flight was filling up, so I re-entered the 2 person quey and the price dropped to 19 cent again!

Is this sharp practice or just Ryanair's way of fleecing families? Or, did I just query the last two seats at 19c and all others are €14.99? Could I break my booking into 3 parts, 2+2+1 or would they screw me at the checkin? [No smart replies such as "what do you want for €0.19!"]

This may have a serious effect on future family bookings!

Slim 8)

Its probably to be able to charge you the booking fee a few times over. Afaik now they have a flat fee of 2.50 per person on the booking so that would defeat this purpose though.

Had a similar situation about two years back with AerLingus. Checked prices for flying Dublin to Dusseldorf for two adults and then by accident went back and checked for one adult. There was a price difference of €60 per person. Can't see how they could challenge any such type of booking, unless there is something in the small print not allowing under 16s/14s to be booked on their own?

WEnt back in and priced the options. By booking 2+2+1, I incur €10 per booking credit card fee - total €260.25. By booking all 5 on one booking, the total cost is €314.25 - a difference of €54. THe benefit of breaking up the booking is largely offset by the credit card booking fee.

Thanks for all your views.

Slim 8)

Could I break my booking into 3 parts
Yes, but you risk completing 2 bookings and then finding the flights full or having to pay a huge price for the 3rd booking.

Ryanair don't have seats allocated so it should have
no real bearing on the cost of the flight.
Ryanair tend to jack up the prices when the flights start filling up.

Yes, but you risk completing 2 bookings and then finding the flights full or having to pay a huge price for the 3rd booking.
Wouldn't opening 3 browsers and moving the booking along at the same pace on all 3 avoid that potential problem?

Wouldn't opening 3 browsers and moving the booking along at the same pace on all 3 avoid that potential problem?
Probably not - Many eCommerce systems will get confused if you attempt multiple transactions in seperate browser windows. If they are using 'cookie' files stored on your PC to track details of the transaction in hand, they have one cookie for 3 transactions, which won't work.

But even if it will, you can't guarantee that all 3 transactions will be accepted when you press the 'submit' button. What if you get an error on 1 out of 3?

by checking out that there was actually 5 free seats you were probably safe enough. have used this myself when booking flights for footie weekends. Diffence was that all adults were paying for their fares so it didnt really matter about credit card charges. Often wondered if it would be economical to have a debit card account just for booking on line. Anybody?

I've flagged before that I'd also come across this kind of "funny stuff" when making Ryanair bookings (can't find the post right now).

But have a peep at , for a chuckle...

Dr. M.

Doc,

A bigger chuckle is . Exactly how many had you had that night? ;)

unas cervezas, sueellen... ;)

I'm not making any of it up, 'though!
You can see the view from the front door on that telly I sent you the other day... :p

'Don' M.

Back